Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Swap two bikes for a Seven?

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  surfmonkey89 
#1 ·
I currently own a 2011 Specialized Roubaix, and a 2013 Kona Rove.

The Roubaix was my "dream bike", but after riding it a while, I was kind of unimpressed. The ride has always been super rough for me, and I eventually got frustrated and considered just giving up riding altogether.

On somewhat of a whim, I got the Rove a year ago, and it's the most comfortable ride I've ever had. The best way to describe it is that it's the first bike I've had where I just want to keep riding and riding. The problem is that it's 28lbs, and I definitely notice it, especially on hills (I live in the Seattle area).

Since getting the Rove, I've experimented with 26mm tires on the Roubaix instead of the stock 23s, and while the ride is definitely improved, it's still nowhere near the Rove wrt comfort.

I'm wondering if the right move would to sell both, and put the money toward a Seven titanium, or possible steel, bike. I'm thinking no higher than an Axiom SL or *maybe* and SLX.

The idea is that I'd be getting the best of both worlds: the light weight of the Roubaix, and the comfort of the Rove.

My riding intentions are pavement, rail to trails, centuries, and maybe some smooth single track. I'm 6'4" and 230ish.

Does this make sense? I'll be test riding the bikes before too long, but I thought I'd ask the unwashed masses as well.

See less See more
#2 ·
Tapatalk didn't like my previous post.

I think if you like your Rove, you should own it. I don't think the swing in weight from your current bike to minimum UCI-legal would be enough to change who you can hang with or whether or not you enjoy any given climb or century. And I don't think getting another metal bike would lose you that weight. Except maybe the ridiculously light one from R+E. :D

I was curious enough to look up last year's Rove. If you wanted to keep it but make it lighter, you could think about a carbon fork, fancy wheels, and nice tires. Be a little careful about changing the tires - I bet a lot of what you like about the ride is the fat tires and they're also what gives that bike some trail capability. Don't let weight seduce you to a skinnier tire. But there are some relatively light 35 and 33 mm tires on the market.

And of course, if you have a bunch of commuter/rain stuff bolted to your Rove, take that off before weighing it.

#5 ·
Seven is very good at building bikes based on rider attributes and desired ride quality. I don't think you'll be disappointed. People who buy Sevens tend to ride them over long periods of time and not trade away. Since you weigh 230 you don't want to go beyond an SL. The SLX may not be the right bike for you.
Either way speak to Seven and see which bike and fit they recommend.

#6 ·
Thanks for the help. I'll talk to my LBS and see what they recommend. If it turns out that I can't get demonstrably better from Seven over the Rove, I'll just stick with the Rove and save the money. I should probably test ride a Seven regardless, though. At least that's my current thinking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.