RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2003

Shimano STI Repair

Hi,

I have an older set of Shimano 600 STI shift/brake lever combo and the left lever which controls the front derailleur does not ratchet anymore. Does anybody know where i can get this repaired or if they even sell replacement parts for it anymore?

Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    rebuild shimano?
    Last edited by wrench; 03-01-2005 at 12:58 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by wrench
    Shimano STI units are not able to be repaired. Not to sound like a broken record, only Campy units are rebuildable.
    I just found a replacement rebuild kit for these levers at loosescrews.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2003

Are you really sure?

Quote Originally Posted by bikerhahn
    I just found a replacement rebuild kit for these levers at loosescrews.
    I looked at this site but didn't see any Shimano rebuild kits. You have to be very very gifted in order to put the internal workings together for Shimano. Many of the internal parts require special tools and holders. Some people claim to have rebuilt STIs with doner STI sets. Have you tried flushing out the shifter with WD40 then lubing with a quality lube? I use Tri Flow for just about everything. Campy-addicts have the luxury of buying rebuild parts but ask them about the high prices. Seems they are better of buying new parts. Campy people just don't know when it's time to replace their parts. Hanging out in a bike shop for the last 18 years has shown me that Campy people are cheap and think their stuff will last forever. I've seen guys with really old stuff that is completely gone and all the guys can say is "isn't this stuff rebuildable?". They preach how great Campy is yet all they buy is the third tier gruppo because Campy is so expensive and it gets them into the Campy bragging right club. I have yet to see any mechanic or customer rebuild Shimano STIs sucessfully; myself included. Not trying to knock you in any way. Please let us know if you are sucessful. It would be good news for all of us STI users. A nice alternative are bar end shifters. Fairly inexpensive and work flawlessly. Please keep us posted.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2003
    Thommy, Here is the link where i found the rebuild kit; http://loosescrews.com/Products/SH-64L9804.html Yeah, I don't think i am going to attemp this, I will try the clean and lube thing that you suggested. Your right about campy, I have never owned anything other than cranks and brake calipers because of the cost. I have a family to support. Thanks for your advice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2003

Link

Quote Originally Posted by bikerhahn
    Thommy, Here is the link where i found the rebuild kit; http://loosescrews.com/Products/SH-64L9804.html Yeah, I don't think i am going to attemp this, I will try the clean and lube thing that you suggested. Your right about campy, I have never owned anything other than cranks and brake calipers because of the cost. I have a family to support. Thanks for your advice.
    Thanks. Just checked it out. Sounds like its the main shifter body. The front half of the body comes off easy enough but has a round type of keeper spring. When you reassemble the front to the main body the lever portion has to be 1/4 in the opposite dirction as you twist and place it onto the main body. Just looks complicated but this part can be done. Is your shifter completely gone? Give the inner workings a really good blast with the WD 40 and let it dripout onto some rags. Do this two or three times to get all the garbage out then try and lube and work the triggers. Hope it all works out for you. These bike parts are getting too expensive. Don't forget bar end shifters and thank you again for the link.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2003

link, again

Hello again. I just went back and reread the page advertising the replacement guts. At the low price they are showing I'm thinking it may not be the main gut works. Too bad they don't have a picture. I'll have tocheck out a shimano schematic some time soon. Let us know how things turn out.

Not Banned

and good luck

luckily they are older models. Shimano factory mechanics don't even rebuild the newer STI's

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    I have a busted left 105 shifter and when I took it a part there is no way I can put it back together.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    I will buy your non-functional 7 or 8 speed STI road levers, even if they're taken apart and in a zip-lock bag. I rather enjoy working on those.

Got Force?
    AZ, this is a 2 year old thread...
    For once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
    Leonardo da Vinci

Growing Older, Not Up
    Sep 2005

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Of course, I had to click on the link to see the exploded diagram. Good one!

Growing Older, Not Up
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AZeigler
    Of course, I had to click on the link to see the exploded diagram. Good one!
    Don't miss the "simple" diagram for Campy!

RoadBikeReview Member

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Shojii,

Thank you for a truly great link!

Danny

RoadBikeReview Member
    You're most welcome Sir. I only wish i had the genius of the chap who owns that site. Have you tried a rebuild yet?

Shoj

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    wow....looks messy indeed.

Mine are quite dirty and gummed up but sitll work great. What do you use to lube these things? White Lithium Spray grease or somthing better?