Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Will Ultegra go 11 Speed, soon?

26K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  pataww2001 
#1 ·
Will Ultegra go 11 speed, soon...and is so will Ultegra Di2 get upgrades similar to the new Dura Ace Di2? What do you think...any rumors floating around, out there?

#4 ·
Going from 10 to 11 speed may be a matter of programming as well, no other change necessary except the casette.
I would like to see something official about this. I'm debating a new bike purchase with UDi2. But I refuse to make a purchase this year when they are going to offer the tighter gear range of 11 speed in late 2013.

Has there been any official press regarding if current Dura Ace Di2 can be upgraded to 11 speed just by adding the cassette/chain/RD? Firmware upgrade only? I don't mind a small upgrade price later to get something now but a full groupset switch in a little over a year to take advantage of 11sp would be asking too much. I hope Shimano makes current Di2 forward compatible to 11sp.

#3 ·
Given Shimano's product cycle, and that Dura Ace Di2 11 speed won't be available till december (if that doesn't slip), I would expect 11 speed Ultegra in summer / fall 2013.

#5 ·
Hang on I said MAY and hacking the OS would likely be done by, well hackers, rather than Shimano. Maybe the Pirate Bay will have Di2 software someday.
Obviously the software controls the movement of the derailleur, so it should be possible to change the amount of movement per shift by rewriting the script.

Good articles on both 11 speed DA groups (mech and electric) on bikeradar.

#7 ·
Everything I've read (including from dealers) is that Ultegra Di2 is upgradeable as the software is the same as new DA9070.
"Even though Ultegra Di2 doesn’t have any mechanical changes for 2013, it rides the coat tails of Dura-Ace Di2 9070 and gains some cool upgrades. Since the two Di2 groups will now be sharing the same E-tube wiring harness, the new three or five port junction box can be used with Ultegra, allowing satellite shifters to be added (satellite shifters were not available for Ultegra Di2 for 2012). But, the biggest news is that with an 11-speed wheel, cassette and chain upgrade, the current 10-speed Ultegra Di2 can be converted to 11-speed. Syncing your system to the E-tube software will give you the option of changing the shifters and derailleurs from 10 to 11-speed"

FEATURES: SHIMANO DURA-ACE GOES 11-SPEED

#9 ·
and that's the beauty of it, you can "eat your cake and have it". Buy 'Ui2' now, ride it as is and then update it to 11 whenever you have the funds/need. :thumbsup:
There may even be a fair few 2012 Ultegra Di2 bikes discounted soon once the 2013 models are announced. :D

#14 ·
It actuay may be that simple. Shimano techs will not say "yes" to it working, but they also firmly did not say "no"! All parts are dumb, junction boxes are "smart" and current Rr.der has the range of motion to cover an extra gear. Unless an unknown issue crops up, it seems like you will be able to swap a few parts and have 11 speed Ultegra Di2...

#20 ·
Mr. Aussie,
it is now common knowledge that the D- Ace 11spd cassette requires its own unique free hub. It won't fit the existing Shimano 10 speed free hub.

#23 ·
Here in UK I spoke to someone at Specialized head office who said Ui2 11 speed is on its way.

Corroboration: you can now get 6770, 10 speed, Ui2 upgrade kits with over 40% off - so the retailers must know an upgrade is coming soon to dump their stock.

#24 ·
Could you use your incredible connection and ask if he / she knows when Ultegra (11)spd mechanical will be available her in the States?

#30 ·
Thanks izza. Last few months of 2013.............that's a long time to wait.

O.K. so I'm a pro who helps Cadel put the finishing touches on his training every year. Any chance your Specialized connection could send me out a few Ultegra cassettes as soon as they come out of the factory?

(a pro begging for parts on the RBR Forums, ya that's me :mad2:) I'm dying over here!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.