Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

How do you tape your FSA K Wing or Control Tech Carbon?

2K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  Lt. 
#1 ·
Bought a Cannondale Synapse SL1. It's got Control Tech handlebars which are carbon, and flat on the top like a K Wing. My dealer only taped them from the drops up to just past the brakes. There is no tape on the top. I love looking at the carbon, but it's not the most comfortable and it's a little slippery. Do you tape your flat-top bars all the way to the stem? Thanks

#5 ·
I've done it both ways but prefer tape up on top of the flats precisely because of the "slippery" issue, especially when riding in winter (my full finger gloves). I once was riding with open palms just resting on the flat part and hit a small bump. I was surprised how fast that small impact nearly shot my hands off the slick carbon.

I suppose I shoulda been paying better attention, but ultimately I like having the tape on the top.

#6 ·
Taped all the way up on my Winwoods. I have big hands and even the oversized flats are still to small I get a little bit more size by taping up plus better grip. I would say I have seen about a 50/50 split on half taped or full taped.

#7 ·
I have the control tech alum. ones that are just like your carbon ones and i have them taped up all the way. the real reason that people leave it half taped is for the bling bling carbon bar factor. that way you can show off the $250+ bar set that you have on your bike.

#9 ·
I have the FSA aluminum Wing Pro...

on one bike and they are tapped all the way up. Zame when I had my CF Zipp bars that were flat-topped. Better grip IMO with or without gloves.

#10 ·
Tape slippage

I've had mine taped to just above the brakes (with black electrical tape to hold the tape in place). I ride with my hands on the top bends of the bars and have found that the tape is always slipping down, exposing sticky residue from underneath the tape. I've taped them a few times and have figured that I either need to extend the bar tape further up on the flat part of the bar or just tape them the entire way. Anybody else have problems with tape slippage?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.