Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Another Indy Fab 953 Dream Machine

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  RickyRitalin 
#1 ·
Like Corky, I made the jump to an Indy Fab 953. Although it was expensive (the frame is almost twice that of a steel Crown Jewel but still way shy of a CJ Ti), I thought that it was an excellent choice between weight and cost. I had read the review in Bicycling and was impressed enough to wait. And it was worth it.

I know I probably could have gotten another bike a little lighter with a little less cost, but I wanted something unique yet classic. As configured, it weighs 15.7 lbs (without the WB cages or computer but including the pedals). I probably could get the weight down further, but it isn't worth it.

After having put about 300 miles on it (I received it in mid July), I have been very impressed with how it rides. It absorbs the chipseal without fuss or muss, yet responds like a Porsche when I put the hammer down. As someone said, this bike is way faster than me. It tracks like a heat seeking missile to boot - very stable on fast downhill descents and corners like a dream.

#5 ·
Frame geometry

The geometry is one of a sloping top tube. TT = 585mm and 8 degree slope, Ht = 165mm, angles are 73 degrees, ST = 530mm, Standover is 808mm with a wheelbase of 1011mm (chainstay is 410mm). I am 5'11.5" with an inseam of 33". It is amazing what a well fitting frame will do for you.

#9 ·
Rip Offs

Why did you go with IF instead of Carl Strong who would charge you over $1000 less for a 953? Then you prob paid another $500 for the paint!! (Carl would have gotten Spectrum to paint your frame a solid color for free) I'm sorry, I have an IF planet cross and respect them as bikes but as a company they are a rip off. No doubt they have great bikes, my cross bike handles awesome, but they have to stop being so friggin greedy. They need some feedback from cyclists telling them to cut the crap. Maybe the extra money is for a healthcare fund for all the lung cancer they're going to get. The back of their company is a one big damn ashtray.

#12 ·
zoikz said:
Why did you go with IF instead of Carl Strong who would charge you over $1000 less for a 953? Then you prob paid another $500 for the paint!! (Carl would have gotten Spectrum to paint your frame a solid color for free) I'm sorry, I have an IF planet cross and respect them as bikes but as a company they are a rip off. No doubt they have great bikes, my cross bike handles awesome, but they have to stop being so friggin greedy. They need some feedback from cyclists telling them to cut the crap. Maybe the extra money is for a healthcare fund for all the lung cancer they're going to get. The back of their company is a one big damn ashtray.
Zoikz: Thanks for the post. I probably would have paid about $650-700 less for a frame made by Strong. I also looked into Rourke, Anderson, Waterford and Ionic before choosing IF. The reason for going with IF was their testing the frame out in race conditions prior to building it for the public. Another factor was their claim of a less than 3 lb weight for the frame (which was accurate - it weighs about 2.8 lbs). I believe all these frame builders have excellent reputations and stand behind their products.

As for the reason for higher prices, it may be due to the taxes in Massachusetts. I don't think it is a case of excessive greed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.