Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadBikeReview group ride - April 6 - Same Place, Same Time

9K views 78 replies 26 participants last post by  kaizen 
#1 ·
Due to the overwhelming positive responses we have received from the March 2nd group ride, we're doing it again!

Same meeting place (Palo Alto VA parking lot), Same meeting time (9 am).

The route will be the same, since it seemed to work well for all the various types of riders we had.

Here's the map of the VA parking lot and where to meet.

See less See more
#11 ·
thien said:
I think a few people added on a few extra turns and hills (by accident :mad2: ).
You mean like my buddy and I missing Junipero Serra altogether and riding up Alpine Road for about two miles before figuring out that we were in the wrong place?

Somehow my Garmin GPS showed that we rode just shy of 34 miles when the Bikely map shows only 24.9 miles. It might also be because we rode up and over Woodside Road instead of Sand Hill Road as I felt that I didn't like the intersection at Highway 280 and Sand Hill (it's dangerous as cars come flying up the ramps and cars driving on Sand Hill need to merge across the bike path to get onto the freeway). A few people have lost their lives at that intersection so we avoided it by going around it.

#12 ·
thien said:
you'll get to be in this picture...

But for those that need something more tangible, we'll have socks (first come, first served, until they're gone)... and a good supply of stickers.

But most importantly we'll have miles and miles of smiles. :D
I will definitely be in that picture again, but I'm gonna have to reserve some stickers since I seem to have missed them yesterday!

Hey Thien, do you think we'll have something else to give out by then??????? (Just asking!) :idea:

#14 ·
Squidward said:
You mean like my buddy and I missing Junipero Serra altogether and riding up Alpine Road for about two miles before figuring out that we were in the wrong place?

Somehow my Garmin GPS showed that we rode just shy of 34 miles when the Bikely map shows only 24.9 miles. It might also be because we rode up and over Woodside Road instead of Sand Hill Road as I felt that I didn't like the intersection at Highway 280 and Sand Hill (it's dangerous as cars come flying up the ramps and cars driving on Sand Hill need to merge across the bike path to get onto the freeway). A few people have lost their lives at that intersection so we avoided it by going around it.
Taking Woodside and Alameda DLP to J.Serra is virtually identical in length to Whiskey Hill and Sand Hill, so your extra mileage must have come from Alpine and inaccurate mapping. But wait a sec, my ride was 25.63 miles and we went almost to Edgewood before turning back. Ohh, you know what, the original route was supposed to be 24.9 miles before Hwy 92 was added in. The "official" ride was supposed to be 35.7 miles.

Not to make light of it, but a few cyclists have lost their lives on probably every single road we took. However, I agree that 280 and Sand Hill is one scary effing intersection.

#15 ·
eddy said:
Ohh, you know what, the original route was supposed to be 24.9 miles before Hwy 92 was added in. The "official" ride was supposed to be 35.7 miles.
Yes, I modified the bikely map after Thien's Canada road suggestion (which added well over 10 miles). It should be showing 35.9 miles.

Here is a slimmed down version of the cue sheet (elevation on the right of each line):

0mi start at Palo Alto Veterans Hospital,
3801 Miranda Ave, parking lot 2
- at far left to the west of bldg 2
0.18mi R Miranda 91.9ft
0.68mi merge onto Foothill 111.5ft
1.01mi L Page Mill 154.2ft
2.71mi R Arastradero 255.9ft
4.67mi L Alpine 410.1ft
5.76mi R Portola 557.7ft
9.2mi L to stay on Portola 374ft
10mi R 84 (Woodside Rd) 462.6ft
11.15mi L Tripp 518.4ft
11.99mi R Kings Mountain 452.8ft
12.4mi L Manuella 433.1ft
12.84mi L Albion 462.6ft
13.35mi R Olive Hill 498.7ft
13.72mi L Canada 429.8ft
20.18mi U turn on Canada at 92 351ft
27.54mi L 84 387.1ft
27.79mi R Whiskey Hill 406.8ft
29.16mi L Sand Hill 292ft
32.27mi R Alpine 157.5ft
32.39mi L Junipero Serra 167.3ft
34.77mi S cross Page Mill, becomes Foothill 160.8ft
35.36mi L on Page Mill, immediate right onto Miranda 105ft
35.64mi L into PA Vets 91.9ft
35.84mi finish in parking lot 2 95.1ft

#16 ·
sometimerider said:
And here is the map, elevation profile, and cue sheet for the route supposedly used on the first ride (which I sadly missed): http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/RBR-4-3-2-08 (click on "Show" for the latter 2 items)
Hey sometimerider, there is a discrepancy in the mileage for that map. The "point" counter has 35.9 miles, but the route details shows 24.9 miles. Should be the 35, I believe...

#17 ·
Squidward said:
Nah, I didn't mean you Squidward, I was poking fun at a couple friends who took a wrong turn and got back to the start a different way. :p

#18 ·
eddy said:
Hey sometimerider, there is a discrepancy in the mileage for that map. The "point" counter has 35.9 miles, but the route details shows 24.9 miles. Should be the 35, I believe...
Oops, you're right. The reference to 24.9 was just a text description that I had added to an earlier version of the ride - and forgot to update when the ride got lengthened.

I've fixed it - and that description now says:
35.9 miles, 1931 ft climbing

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/RBR-4-3-2-08

#19 ·
I should be able to make it again! Maybe this time I'll be able to hang with the group heading back from Canada instead of seeing you all while I was still heading to the end of Canada!!! Doh!

This time we'll keep a better eye on Gary1 and Hubert!! LOL!

#20 · (Edited)
I made another map of the VA with darker colors so it is a little easier to read.
Thien, you can paste this one in your OP.

EDIT: Oh, cool, you did it! I was thinking this morning that I had only dreamt that I redid the map last night, but I guess it was real. :idea:

EDIT2: Hmm, it appears that I need to leave this file here in order for you to link to it above...

#22 ·
Thats a bummer this is the same weekend as Boggs, I would make both of these road rides on any other weekend :cryin: Maybe your open to moving the day since lots of riders will be at Boggs?

I missed you guys last Sunday . I left my house ( Almaden area) at 8 am arrived at the parking lot at 9;20. I was fighting a head wind . Even if there was no wind i left to late.

I really want to ride this ride with my new RBR riding gear. You guys look like your a pro team with those colors!

thien said:
:D This ride will be a recovery ride from the ride the day before... :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.