Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

How much of a carbon handlebar do you tape?

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  jupiterrn 
#1 ·
Carbon handlebars are light, they look great, and they dampen vibration.
So far so good. But they are slippery. Not too bad when I wear gloves.
My hands sweat a lot so I'm tempted to tape the Specialized S-works carbon bars across the flat sections.
Does this break any roadie rules of bling? Will I be laughed at?
Anybody else tape their carbon bars all the way up?

Thanks

#2 ·
Do you care about looks or function?

Bigchef said:
Carbon handlebars are light, they look great, and they dampen vibration.
So far so good. But they are slippery. Not too bad when I wear gloves.
My hands sweat a lot so I'm tempted to tape the Specialized S-works carbon bars across the flat sections.
Does this break any roadie rules of bling? Will I be laughed at?
Anybody else tape their carbon bars all the way up?

Thanks
:rolleyes:

#3 ·
Most ergo carbon bars are only taped to the bend before the tops section,
otherwise usually as per other bars, i.e., til about an inch out from the stem.

#6 ·
The only bling factor you have to deal with is the amount of bling you feel like you want to show off to others. You have carbon and you want to show it off to be "cool", or whatever, the more you tape the less you'll be cool in your mind. If slipperiness is the price to pay for wanting to look cool then slipperiness is the price you'll have to pay. The only limit to your question is how much you feel that you have to look cool to others.

#8 ·
The reason for not taping the tops on certain ergo bars is that there are indentations
for fingers and thumb which the tape is not pliable enough to effectively articulate
around. One is also not nearly as likely to slip off when on the tops. My ergo bars also
have a rough finish on the hoods and drops, although I could never advocate not taping
those areas, both for slippage and comfort reasons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.