Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Bontrager Race Lite vs. Rolf Vector Pro series

6K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Capt. Z 
#1 ·
I got some Bontrager Lite Wheels on my Fuji Pro.

I just got offered a used set of Rolf Vector Pro series wheels and was wondering if that would be an upgrade tomy Bontrager or onli\y a side step. Price for the Rolfs are $ 200.

#4 ·
If you know the history with Trek and Rolf....... and then Bonti stepped in. Bonti's spoke patterns / count are very close to Rolf's . I have never owned a pair of Bonti'.'s though rarely heard of any problems with them. I do have some Rolf's. Love 'em. Bombproof wheels. I live in a city (downtown no less) 3 miilion people.....that's a whole lotta cars = potholes....The Rolf's just keep going and going. To me, wheelset choice is as different as hair colour in who me find attactive, some like blondes, some redheads. Quality is quality and the Rolfs are quality (in my opinion). Are you only keeping one set of wheels or do you have the option of buying a back up set? If your buying a back up set and you can afford both...get 'em, ride 'em and see for yourself...if ya don't like ....sell 'em. Later when your looking for new wheels you can cross one more company off your wish list. If ya don't buy them let me know depending on shipping cost's to Toronto Canada maybe I'll take 'em.
That's my 2 cents worth.

#5 ·
I had a pair of Race Lites on my 2004 Trek that never saw a spoke wrench. They were great wheels and the only reason I sold them is because I didn't like the color. I have Race X Lites on my mtn bikes and like them too. No issues whatsoever.

I have no experience with the Rolf wheels but you probably should be aware of where the parts are coming from.
http://www.rolfprima.com/products-rolfwheels.php

Are the Rolfs aero? Are they lighter weight? If they are equivalent stick with what works.

#6 ·
Same with the Rolf's.....never felt a spoke wrenches touch. (Cross fingers, run around chair 3 times) Bonti uses the same spoke pattern as Rolf did when he made them for Trek Fill in the blanks yourself.......
I do not dislike Bonti's they make good wheels however, here's my point of why I favour Rolf's. I "t-boned" a car a year ago on the Rolf's. Car turned left right into my lane and I hit the passenger door at a 90 degree angle. Blew the downtube and toptube apart on my frame, that's the force I hit the car with. My first thought when I came to was "My wheels" ! I ride them today.......(see top line of this reply) We've all had rims go out of true if we sneeze while turning a corner....Like I said earlier if you can afford to buy them and try them, ya just may like 'em. If you don't sell them.How many of us have paid good, hard earned money to buy a component or wheels for our bikes and find out it's not as advertised? F.S.A. RD 600'S come to my mind right away (sorry for the dis. F.S.A.) The Rolf's are weight compatable with alot of "in trend wheels" right now" Aero? 28mm (I think) not the best but these are not race wheels, these are training wheels (my opinion)

#7 ·
In point of reference, this started with a member wondering if they should buy a used pair of wheels for $200.00. If the purchase was brand new it would be totally different ....alot more money being forked out. Some of the best "stuff" is made but the small guy. There was a guy awhile back who made some wheels.......people risked and tried them. What was his name and where is he now? Steve Hed.

#8 ·
So far I had no problem with the Bontis. I just happened to hear a guy that rides occassionally in our group that he is selling hi Rolfs for $ 200. Dounded like a good deal, but than I don't nothing about wheels. I only know that good wheels can be very expensive.

I do not race but rode this year so far 2000 miles and hope to end the year with a little over 2500 miles.

If the Rolfs are better than I the Bontis I would keep the Rolfs and sell the Bontis.

#9 ·
The Rolf Vector Pro's are more comparable to Bontrager Race-X-Lite Aeros. (A step up from the Race Lites). However, they are obsolete wheels. You will have to search for parts if they are needed. The Vector Pro's were developed and sold when Rolf was part of Trek. Rolf has since broken away and formed Rolf Prima. Rolf Prima does not carry parts or service the old Rolf wheels.

From the Rolf Prima site:

" Q: Why can't Rolf Prima service older, Trek-built, "Rolf Wheels" branded wheels?
A: Rolf Prima wheels are manufactured with different components and specification than the old "Rolf Wheels" branded wheels manufactured under license by Trek Bicycle Corporation. Rolf Prima is a separate entity and has no affiliation with Trek. Trek is servicing all warranties related to the "Rolf Wheels" brand manufactured through December 31, 2001. For more information on servicing "Rolf Wheels" branded products click here."

That being said, if the Rolf wheels are not worn on the braking surfaces, $200 is a fair price.

#11 ·
Capt Z, I do not think that anyone is suggesting that you buy the Rolf's and sell the Bonti's. Cheadhead is correct when he says getting parts may be a little challenging. I am running into that right now for mine. For the price, if you want a back up set of wheels where you do not feel that you're riding a "back up set" the Rolf's may be a great deal for you. B/c of the parts issue they are not a primary wheelset choice for most of us with limited funds for riding. I don't know where you live, if you have a online selling site i.e. craiglist, but in Toronto used wheels like these would be snapped up in a moment. Personally, if I can't ride b/c my wheels are in the shop........I'm spending $200.00 on a back up set so I can ride no matter what. I would not spend 600-800.oo for a back up set for new wheels though. All that being said, if you're satisfied with the Bonti's and do not need a back up set "forget- about- it". If ya need an extra set "just in case" consider it, you could definately do much worse and not much better at that price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.