Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Need help with Sigma BC 1706 HR

6K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  lovetranquillity 
#1 ·
I am not sure if this is the right place but I will give it a try. Today I purchased a new sigma 1706 HR bike computer and I am having trouble with syncing. I have read the manual and looked online and have not found anything helpful. The problem is I cannot get the wheel spin to register. I have tried moving the magnet, adjusting the sensor, replacing the batteries and reseting and redoing the wheel size and other options. I do not understand what is wrong. Any help would be nice, thank you.

#2 ·
If it's the sort with the metal sleeve....did you put the metal sleeve over the magnet instead of over the spoke part? (#1 most common mistake I see at the shop). If not, ignore that suggestion.

#3 ·
PlatyPius said:
If it's the sort with the metal sleeve....did you put the metal sleeve over the magnet instead of over the spoke part? (#1 most common mistake I see at the shop). If not, ignore that suggestion.
No metal sleeve to be found. The magnet is in a plastic thing and you just tighten the holder on to the spoke with a little allen wrench.

#4 ·
#6 ·
Middle should be fine, yes.

How close is the sensor to the magnet? Should be about the thickness of a quarter between them. Any closer, and the magnet can hit the sensor when you turn. Any further, and it might not read.

When you spin the wheel, does the sensor make an electronic "click"?

#8 ·
I have an older Sigma

If your unit is wireless, did you check the battery in the sending unit. I just watched the install video, the new unit looks similar to my older unit in design, meaning there is a small green light and what looks like a reset button on that unit as does mine. When you spin the wheel you will hear a faint tick on each revolution if the send unit is working. there is a battery in there and a battery in the head unit as well. Also the sweet spot for the magnet can be tough to find. Lastly, when I had problems I called their customer support which I found very prompt and helpful.

#9 ·
Another thing I found useful

lovetranquillity said:
When I click the button on the sensor it makes an electronic click and lights up green but no thing showing up on the computer. The magnet is very close to the sensor so any closer it would it.
May not want to hear this, but the contact points on the head unit and the docking unit where the head unit interfaces with the receiver scratch them a little with a screwdriver blade and maybe moisten a little(NOT SOAK, a little spit) Also a battery is in my receiver too, 3 batteries to operate one unit, a good reason to stay wired AFAIK.

#10 ·
May just be a defective unit.
I've never had any problem at all with Sigma. They're the easiest computer to set up, and their wireless is more reliable than anyone else's.

#12 ·
Can you hear the wheel sensor clicking as the magnet passes by it? If not, the battery in it is not properly seated. The battery contacts in the Sigma units I have are not very reliable and difficult to get seated correctly.

Have you tried it away from wireless phones and other emitters that might interfere with the signal.

It takes quite a few revolutions of the wheel before you will get a speed reading.

#15 ·
I honestly have no idea what the problem was. Pretty much the guy at my lbs couldn't figure out why it was not working. He put it on the sigma calibrator thing put it back in to the bike, took it off, looked confused then put it back on and it worked. Strange. I am glad it is working and I have realized I bike faster than I thought. I hope it doesn't decide to stop working again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.