Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

New Specialized TriCross Sport Triple - Mods

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  philoanna 
#1 ·
I think this is my first post here - while I've cycled on and off over the last 20 or so years, I just now finally bought a good bike. But of course, it's on the cheap end of good - so I'm beginning to think ahead of what I'll change.

I'm a large guy - 6'3", and usually around 250 lbs. This generally means I'm going to pop some spokes on occasion.

I know the wheel set on my TriCross are not high quality wheels. I'll run them for a while, but am thinking I need to start budgeting for a new set.

I'm looking for something that will be a high quality choice and offer the strength needed to support my weight. Any input?

Yesterday was my first ride on it, and while I wasn't any faster than on my Gary Fisher Hybrid, I think that was probably mostly due to the new riding position, saddle, rigidness, etc. At least I wasn't slower - and did finish my intended 25 miles.

Today I'm planning on 30, and a little faster time - yesterdays average (per Garmin Forerunner 405) was 14.3 mph. My best on the old bike on a ride over 25 miles was 14.8, so I'm in the neighborhood. I'm hoping for over 15 in the next couple of weeks.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I have found the wheels on the tricross sport to be quite durable, which should be expected because they're very heavy. I'm not nearly as big as you are but have ridden the wheels on all kinds of terrain and have only had to do some minor trueing.
The most important thing with regards to the wheels is to have the bike shop check them out before you ride them. They should true the wheels and make sure that the spoke tension is good.
If you're riding on the road, then switching to some different tires (and wheels) will make a noticeable difference in your speed. The cheap Specialized Borough tires that come on the bike are a decent compromise for riding road and dirt but they're not really good on either surface.
Enjoy the bike.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info Gobes - I'll see how long they last for me. I did another 25 today, my butt couldn't go 30. New seats really are tough to get used to. Upped my pace a bit - 14.7 avg spd. I can see 15 is an easy goal, should be there as soon as my butt pain lessens and I can just stay in the saddle. My avg HR is really low, so I know I have the potential of hitting mid 16's.

#4 ·
Hi Ron,
I have that bike in white. I put a rear rack on it to commute a couple days, and basically use it just for fitness. I was riding a Crosstrail, which I still have and love, but I wanted two bikes and something faster.
I really dig it.
It took me some time to get comfy, but I lowered my stem and got a shorter stem. I got the bike March 28 and just hit 1100 miles today. I'm not beating the bike up, but at this point, my wheels are quite true. I was just looking at my tour edition of Excel Sports catalog. I am considering mavic Askium's but I may hold off till next year to see if I even need new wheels. At this point, it looks like the stock wheels are holding up.
Anyway,enjoy it. Take it off road , too. I was surprised how fast it is on singletrack and how well it handles.
Have fun.

#5 ·
Hey Philo,

Third ride today - increased my distance to 27 miles. Saddle soreness is a tiny bit less, so I'm hoping for a bigger day tomorrow. I've got about 75 miles down now, and I am getting more and more comfortable on it - mine is also white - love the color scheme.

Because it's a totally new riding position, I don't think I'm yet there on comfort level to go off-road, but I have noticed that the bike is a great climber. Todays ride had some very steep climbs and it just felt so great going up them.

I'm noticing a lot of noise when I'm at the biggest and littlest gears on the cassette, so I'm going to haul it in for an adjustment in the next day or two.

I really hope to get about 3,000 miles in this summer, so I'll know by October if the wheels will stay true.

I really do like the bike - I sat on the Bianchi at the LBS, along with a couple of others, and this one just felt right. Probably helps that my last bike was a little bit too small for me, making a correct fit just feel so right.

#6 ·
Ron,
Good stuff. I'm shooting for 3000 for the year. I rode my hybrid late Jan. through March until I got my Tricross. I'm getting in about 100 or so miles a week. I'm a teacher so the miles will slack off a little in the fall, so I'm trying to get up to at least 2500 before school. I past 1800 today, so I should make it.

Keep it up man and let me know how it goes and any mods you make.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.