Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Tubular CX tire Sealant... Which one? How much?

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  atpjunkie 
#1 ·
Any recommendations on sealant to be used in CX tubulax tires?

Tires are new 32mm Tufo Flexus/Primus.

I have some SLIME, and used SLIME-filled tubes last year to race on clinchers. This worked well and I got no flats. Any good/bad experience with SLIME in tubbies?

I have friends that use Stan's and they seem to like it (or at least don't dislike it).

Primary concern out in the CO Front Range is thorns.

As for how much, how much do I add? 1oz/tire? 2oz/tire?

Thanks,

#3 ·
I have used stans for a year in tubulars on the road and for cross and really have great luck with it. It will seal all but the worst gashes pretty quickly. It really works great. Maybe a couple 0z are all you need.

You have to use tires with a removable core. I bought the injector thing, but it's a waste of money, just use the pointy top for the regular quart bottle and put a good squirt in.

You have to shake it up a lot before putting it in, beyond that it takes about 10 seconds.

#4 ·
Jroden gets it.

I have also used Vittoria Pit Stop and Hutchinson Fast Air....small airesol cans with foam sealant...fills and seals the tire. Great for race day repair.Works on tubulars or tubes

And with removable prestas...they can get gummed up from sealants, and leak a little or just get hard to open/close. Just remove them and run them under hot water to clean them.

#5 ·
I was doing a duathlon up in canda over the summer and put a big gash in my pack tire, it was spraying Stans like a firehose for about a second, then I bounced on a the seat and it seemed like I had about 80 psi in the tire, so I just finished the race. I pumped it up and trained on it for a few more weeks.

When it died, I took an awl and puched big holes in the tire and they self sealed without fail.

I've had a couple rips that did not heal themselves, but 90% do. Because of the stans, I can train on tubulars and it's just not a hassle.

#7 ·
agree

the mayor said:
Jroden gets it.

I have also used Vittoria Pit Stop and Hutchinson Fast Air....small airesol cans with foam sealant...fills and seals the tire. Great for race day repair.Works on tubulars or tubes

And with removable prestas...they can get gummed up from sealants, and leak a little or just get hard to open/close. Just remove them and run them under hot water to clean them.
I soak my cores in hot water to de gunk the sealant

works like a charm
I typically carry a small bottle of stans
I may try the pit stop if I go for an adventure ride

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.