Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Cobb V-Flow Max saddle/pelvis and comfort

6K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  redondoaveb 
#1 ·
Wondering if anyone here is riding any of the Cobb saddles? I am re-entering the cycling ranks after ~21 years of triathlon....knees can't take the running. I went to one of Cobb's V-Flow saddles some time ago and it was a panacea for all things comfort and point tenderness. It allowed me to rotate my pelvis forward in the TT position and sit there indefinitely as surely as I was watching college football in my Lazy Boy....pure heaven.

So I thought, why wouldn't I put this on my Merlin? I did and I have to say it's been a real eye opener for me. Traditionally I have sat on my sits bones very far back on my saddle, but even with the best soft tissue cut out I still had discomfort. I am now sitting my my Max with a happy medium between the fully rotated pelvis TT position and the traditional slammed back roady setup I have had on my various road rigs.

What I have found is that I'm definitely riding with a more open hip angle and my pelvis is rotated more forward and pressure is on the area further forward of the tuberosity where we are most used to sitting. I put my 'junk' right where I did in the TT position as there is a 'ramp' where my nuts sit....it's just perfect.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has tried one of these saddles. I didn't need to be convinced it worked in a TT position, but wasn't sure about road riding as the orientation is a bit different. If you have had issues with comfort I wouldn't hesitate to rec trying one of these on your roadie. I know it looks weird, but damn if it doesn't work for me like magic. There are some people who won't use a product b/c it doesn't look cool, but that isn't me!

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for posting this. I'm considering going with one of these 'tri' saddles that John Cobb makes and using on my road bike. I'm a bit different as I do most of my riding by myself and I use aero bars. I'm not a triathlete, but I ride in a semi-aero position most of the time. It certainly is not conventional for road bike use, but I'm willing to try anything in the search for a good saddle.

#3 ·
Cobb saddles fan

Count me in the John Cobb Saddle fan club. I tried both a Specialized Toupe and a Fizik Antares (all around 140 mm width) on my bikes. Each was bearable, but I had comfort issues. On a friend's advice, I reached out to John Cobb and they recommended a Max based on my riding environment (road cycling with lots of climbing in the Blue Ridge). Man, what a difference it made. I ride in a much more efficient "hips rotated" position, and I very seldom have numbness or discomfort.

Pay attention to the detailed set-up instructions they send with the saddles, particularly the left/right rotation recommendation. A few degrees of offset make a ton of difference. Guys naturally "dress right" or "dress left".

Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.