Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Mavic Reflex VS. Sun Vista Cruiser

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  strathconaman 
#1 ·
I am trying to build up a lightish sturdy wheelset for cross with Challenge Fango's mounted on. So, either 32h Reflexes or 32h Vista Cruiser?? I am under 150 lbs for at least another season if that matters.

And I am also trying to get sun ringle hubs, city flea rear (230g) and country flea (85g) front.

Suggestions? Prior usage?

#2 ·
As far as the Sun Vista Cruiser rim goes - They are considerably wider than my Mavic Ksyriums and Easton EA70 tubulars. This may not matter but be mindful if you have a set of pit wheels that are different - your brakes may or may not require adjustment. The wide rim does offer a lot of contact area for gluing.

I also have had Ringle hubs laced to the Sun Rims. Not sure what model hub (has really loud pawls). I've been less impressed with the hubs since they started to feel gravelly after only a few races though I got 3 seasons out of them before the rear one needed new bearings.

Hope this helps.

#3 ·
I'm running vista cruisers currently. At first I built them as road wheels, but after slapping glue on them and the tires, I realized they're too wide! So they're cross only. The braking surface is pretty narrow, but isn't a big deal as long you adjust the pads right. They're pretty light, decently cheap, I'd build with them again. They are pretty odd to true and build; they are very sensitive to tension differences. My other wheels are Bontrager Race x lite 29er rim brake wheels, respaced and redished to 130, so the wide rim is consistent.
Reflexes are nice, but at 2x the price of vista cruisers my choice is still for the Suns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.