Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Parlee Z4 vs. Pinarello FP7

6K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  twiggy73 
#1 ·
Hi all. I am thinking about getting a new (lighter) bike for some harder rides this year that involve a lot of climbing. I have been told by a trusted friend and bike shop owner that a Parlee Z4 or the Pinarello FP7 would make great bike for me. The bike of choice will be built with Campy Chorus components. So, pretty much everything on the bike will be the same except the frame. I was hoping to hear some additional thoughts on these two. They did not have an FP7 in my size (would have to order it), but I was able to test ride a Prince frame. It felt great! Going to test the Parlee this weekend..

Any thoughts?

#3 ·
I own a Parlee Z4 so my opinion is obviously biased but I would go with the Parlee Z4. I've never ridden a FP7 but the Z4 is lighter frame as compared to the FP7. The Parlee Z4 is a sub-1000 gram frame while the FP7 is approx 1050 for a 54cm frame. Also I would guess the Edge fork is probably lighter then the one that comes with the FP7. I built up my Z4 which came in at 14.85 lbs with pedals. I also prefer the understated look of the Parlee. You can also pay for a custom paint job. I think you should test ride both bikes if you can and buy a bike based on the one that fits the best. The Parlee was the right geometry for me in a ML size. I feel the Parlee Z4 is more bike for the money.

#4 ·
Get the Parlee; hands down a better frame. The craftsmanship, the weight, and the ride quality are far and away better than the Pinarello. Pinarello makes great frames, but the FP7 is junk compared to the Parlee. If you were looking at a Prince or a Dogma maybe, well no nevermind, I would still choose the Parlee.

Mike

#6 ·
Thanks everyone. It is kind of funny, but everyone has great things to say about the Parlee, and not a single word about the Pinarello. I have asked a lot of people for an opinion, but keep getting the same response. I am sure it is nice bike, but I have been leaning towards the Parlee from the start. I am going to get a chance to test ride it this week sometime. It is getting built up today, so hopefully by the weekend! I will let everyone know how it goes, and post pics if I can!!

#8 ·
the z4 is unreal. it climbs, it sprints, it goes all day without issue. i unfortunately sold mine...and what a dumb move that was...

the only consolation is that a new custom bike i have replicates near exactly the z4 geometry.

live & learn.

i'm sure both the z4 and the pinarello you're looking at are great frames & well made.

it's all about the geometry & ride qualities. ride 'em both to compare if possible. then you'll have your answer.

good luck & have fun! :thumbsup:

#10 ·
As others advised, you really need to ride both, especially climbing, before you decide. I have a Z4 and a Scott Addict R3. Although the Parlee is a really nice bike, the front end is very "light" on climbs (lifts off the ground easily) and just doesn't have the same feel of power transfer that the Addict does. The Z4 is a ML, with '09 Force and Reynolds Assaults. The R3 is a large with DA 7800 and Ksyrium SL's. I'm 6' and weigh a little over 160.

#14 ·
daidaidai said:
Hey Kwhite, how did you go with that test ride on the Parlee? Give us a run down of your thoughts.
Well, I was able to take the Z4 for a small spin on Saturday before all of the rain hit here in the bay area. And, that is all it took. It was one of those bikes that I bonded with almost immediately. My first thought was that this is a bike that I could easily ride all day long. It was comfortable, smooth, and the geometry felt great. Needless to say, I bought it that same day. The only difference to the Pinarello is that the Prince frame was very snappy. You hit the pedals and it just took off. Whereas with the Parlee, it was more refined, and slightly more comfortable. And since I was looking for a bike to use on longer rides (like Climb to Kaiser), it fit the bill perfectly. Oh, and the fact that it weighed in a 16.3 pounds versus the 20.5 pound Pegoretti I have (love that bike....) was a huge bonus as well.

Sunday I got to really test it out. I did 55 miles and about 5300 ft of climbing. And, what a difference. As I said before, I felt like I could have kept going all day on that bike! I absolutely love it!

Thank you all for your input. It was very helpful!

#18 ·
kwhite01 said:
It has all of the Campy Chorus 11 group, except a Record cassette, with Campy Neutron wheels. Love the bike!

Kwhite01,

The Z4 also took me by surprise. I was not expecting to like it on my 35 mile testride. About 10 to 15 miles into the ride, the ride quality became apparent.

Currently I have 2010 Force on my Z4. A good friend of mine suggested that I move my Chorus 11 (currently on the Merlin) on the Parlee. Would you mind to post some pics of your ride?

Enjoy your ride! :)

Joe

#19 ·
kwhite01 said:
The silver seat post is going to be replaced with a black one later this week. But, other than that, here she is! The picture was taken with my cell phone, so not a great shot. But, it gives you an idea of what it looks like..
Really nice. Enjoy it!

#20 ·
I bought a Pinarello Opera around the same time my boss bought a Pinarello Prince and the Prince cracked, was replaced with new by Pinarello distributor, then cracked again, then was replaced again. My Opera was OK but not a high end bike. Both of us moved to Parlee Z4's for the last year or 2 and have found them to be of the highest standard in every respect. I can only imagine that if the Z5 is as good it will be an excellent bike. I've had a bunch of bikes over the years, Daccordi Opera, Colnago Master-X light, Soren-Son (handbuilt in Oz) etc. Buy a Parlee.

#21 ·
Nice looking ride Kwhite01 it seems that the tube and lug tecnology is not dead after all
and still provides one of the best quality and comfortable rides around
I would have loved to have considered a Z4 but the are very priciey here in australia
So i ended up with a look 585

Enjoy the Z4

Twiggy73

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.