Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

'Medium' saddle width options

771 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Bulldozer 
#1 ·
I had been using a mtb saddle for my road bike (WTB Pure V) and the padding started to go out so decided to move over to more of a road saddle since I plan on doing a few centuries this year. I know saddles are a personal preference so I'm not asking for someone to recommend the perfect saddle, I'm just trying to figure out ones that I should try in the medium (say 140-150mm or so wide?) widths as that's what I've measured out on the Bontrager measuring tool. I'm 5'9" 170lbs if that helps. Here's the ones that I've tried so far and some brief thoughts of each:

Fizik Aliante: Nice in the tops, majority weight is on the back side of my sit bones and the rest is spread out relatively nicely on my backside. Need to play with angles more as I get numb if I go lower in the hoods or drops. ~100 miles on it.

Specialized Phenom SL 143: No problems with numbness with the cutout. However I feel like I'm perched on it so 90%+ of my weight on the two sit bone hot spots which will probably kill me after 60+ miles. ~40 miles

Fizik Arione: Narrow saddle but seems to support me alright. Probably won't work as the center ridge makes my taint have to make a choice of left or right side of the saddle. ~5 miles

Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow: Unless I'm in a really aggressive racing position with my hips really rotated forward my sit bones are on the curved edges and not really being supported. ~2 miles

I also picked up a Bontrager Inform RL to try out as well. But I haven't run it though the paces yet.

I still have all these saddles atm so if I need to somehow do something special with them I'm willing to try. But seeing how most of the popular saddles are of the narrow width (< 140mm) I'm trying to figure out a few more saddles to try out to try to find something that will disappear beneath me.

See less See more
#2 ·
I honestly don't have much useful to add, other than to say that you are right about the Aliante: You have to fiddle with the angles. Little tweaks make big differences.

I love mine, but occasionally get just a bit more numbness than I want. Have never had good luck with cut-out saddles, but am intrigued by the Selle SMP. Just wish I could figure out which model I want to try.

#3 ·
I would suggest trying a Selle San Marco Regal; almost everyone seems to like them (including myself, and I went through several saddles before settling on it). Also, you can pick up a "replica" for less than half the price of the real thing so it will hurt your wallet a little less if you don't like it.

#4 ·
If you have had good luck with the WTB why not try a Vigo? Looks good to me. I've got a Speed V on my Fisher Ferrous. I'm currently using a slightly narrower and flatter San Marco on my road bike but don't have enough time on it to tell for sure how it rides. I also ride mountain in baggy Fox shorts and the road in Pearl Izumi lycra.

#5 ·
I have finally settled on a Selle San Marco Caymano after trying several and I love it.

#6 ·
Aliante and Regal are good... you could also try the Fizik Antares, which I've tried and liked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.