Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Tire sealant

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  MarvinK 
#1 ·
Tire Sealant

Can i feel it when its in my tubular? Does it harass the rotation of the wheel? :)

#2 ·
answer from a clincher rider

Probably not. You tires/ wheels will have much less total mass than mine, so the potential is there, but I really doubt you will feel it. (You might imagine you feel it though, if you try hard enough). At best I think that "maybe" when you were starting to spin up, it would be possible to feel it, but once you are traveling at any kind of speed, even slow speed, I'm sure the sealant will be evenly distributed in the tire. You valve stem probably makes more of a difference regarding tire balance.
RasmusOtt said:
Tire Sealant

Can i feel it when its in my tubular? Does it harass the rotation of the wheel? :)

#3 ·
martinrjensen said:
Probably not. You tires/ wheels will have much less total mass than mine, so the potential is there, but I really doubt you will feel it. (You might imagine you feel it though, if you try hard enough). At best I think that "maybe" when you were starting to spin up, it would be possible to feel it, but once you are traveling at any kind of speed, even slow speed, I'm sure the sealant will be evenly distributed in the tire. You valve stem probably makes more of a difference regarding tire balance.

depends how much you put in there, but yes and it can throw the wheel out of balance.

I carry a can of pitstop (fix a flat for tubulars) and I've only had to abandon a ride once in the 6 years I've been riding tubulars.

#5 ·
2oz

In my clincher tires I am running Stan's NoTubes with Hutchinson tubeless and2 oz of sealant in the tires. You cannot notice it. Again, with a tubular you are talking about a lot less total mass and if you put more in then maybe, but again, I think that once you spin up a bit it would not be noticable regardless.

#6 ·
i run stans no tubes in all of my wheels. clincher, tubular, tubeless and you cannot feel it unless you dump an insanely large amount in there. Once you get riding the sealant gets kind of tossed around and coats most of the tire so it spreads out. If you let your wheels sit it will settle in the bottom, you can hold your wheel and slosh it around a bit and hear it, if you can't hear it you probably need to add more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.