Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Columbus Neuron tubing and rust

12K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  dannyg1 
#1 ·
Has anyone else had problems with Neuron Tubes rusting. Just having my 2nd tube replaced on my 10 year old steel frame. The first one was mostly my error for not wiping off sweat after rides but 2nd one was a surprise. I live close to the TX coast so heat and humidity are the norm but I have had other steel frames and not had this problem. Also teh rust is not in the usual places around braze-ons and such and I don't have "toxic" sweat that kills bikes and parts. Any guesses?

#2 ·
Frame Saver?

steelbikerider said:
Has anyone else had problems with Neuron Tubes rusting. Just having my 2nd tube replaced on my 10 year old steel frame. The first one was mostly my error for not wiping off sweat after rides but 2nd one was a surprise. I live close to the TX coast so heat and humidity are the norm but I have had other steel frames and not had this problem. Also teh rust is not in the usual places around braze-ons and such and I don't have "toxic" sweat that kills bikes and parts. Any guesses?
I live in San Antonio so nowhere near as humid and all of my bikes are stored in my garage. Never had a problem with rust. None have NEURON tubes though.

#6 ·
nivacrom as used in neuron tubing has greater corrosion resistance than chrome moly (ex: columbus sl/slx/tsx/brain,etc.) or manganese moly(ex: reynolds 531,etc.). i can't explain why you are having this problem but it would not be directly attributable to the tubing's metallurgy. perhaps the issue is poor surface preparation prior to painting/finishing?

#7 ·
Thanks - the metal properties was what I was wondering about. I doubt that it was surface prep and paint -the paint job was flawless and I will buy again from the same framebuilder. I guess 40 - 50 kmiles and stored in a garage on the Gulf coast for 10 years will take it's toll.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.