Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Record 11sp FD problem

823 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  C-40 
#1 ·
Hi-

I am running compact crank and 11 sp shifters and FD. Problem is I can't seem to get it working so that when in the big ring in front, I can "half-click" the left thumb shifter over to stop chain rub when using the large cogs in back. When I try the "half- click" the FD just shifts right down to the small ring. (Big mo loss when that little glitch surprises you!)

I have tried loosening the cable, but I seem to get a chain rub when in the small cogs. When I tighten it enough to stop that, I can't half click without initiating a full downshift. I tried routing the cable to the right side of the clamp screw but that had a big bend on the pivot.

My old Record 10sp did the half shift thing perfectly.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

#3 ·
Thanks!

What an awsome thread!- Thanks C-40. It explained everything.

First off, I see I was the perpetrator of imprecise terminology. Of course I know there is no such thing as a half click. That's why I put it in quotes. What I was searching for was how to express attempts to "trim" ( another new term!) the FD with a shorter throw than intended for a full shift. I now can talk in terms of 4 clicks- 5 positions, 2 on the big ring etc.

Also the cable routing photos were what I needed. I had only though of two ways to route the cable- I now know there are 3, and the third one was the right one. What the heck is that tab for anyway?

Great tip on the cable pre-tension. Back off 1/2 turn connect and turn forward 1/2. Bingo!

I now have 4 total clicks, and 2 on the big ring. I need a bit more tweeking to eliminate the noise on the last couple cogs, but finally it is working like it should.

FWIW- I think the old 10sp was more forgiving to set up, adjust and use. The new hoods make it worth it though.

#4 ·
I m still with the same problem on the fourth click after a while it shifts down ( you can see when the Fd slowly starts moving back and then clcik it shifts complety to the 3rd click). I tried more cable tension, less cable tension. i dont have barrel adjusters, never had on my bikes.. So right now Im runnin the FD 11 with 3 clicks it works fine, no rub. I wish i could have 4 clicks but I've being trying for days and cant get it working

#5 ·
more...

I have the same problem - frames with no cable tension adjustment. The trick that I explained helps, but it's still not as good as having an adjuster.

3 clicks does seem to work fine. I get no chain rub in the big/big and I can use 10 of 11 cogs with no rub, in the big ring, maybe all 11. My setup right now has a little excess cage movement to the right, that settles back as soon as I Iet off the finger lever. That doesn't hurt a thing.

The 4-click setup requires the cage travel to be limited with the limit screw and it will be very close to the crankarm. It may gain you nothing. You'll probably get chain rub and have to use the trim click. No point in that if it can be setup to work without it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.