Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Rebuilding a Rolf Vector Pro rear wheel

11K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  mschaberg 
#1 ·
I was in a crash last week and broke several spokes on my Vector pro rear wheel. I can't afford a new wheelset right now so I want to rebuild it. Because of the design is there anything special I need to do. The rim and hub are both fine it's just a matter of replacing the spokes and nipples? Do I need to rebuild using bladed spokes are can I just use regular spokes. One last question I promise - is there a special Rolf tool to get the nipples out or is there an aftermarket tool available?
Thanks
Joel

#2 ·
Hi,

I have seen a couple of similar posts having trawled google for vector pro's, maybe you're the same joel as from some of the other posts?

If so I have a set of Rolf Vector pro wheels that I'm looking to sell. The rear wheel has basically failed on me - From what I can tell the hub and rim are fine, but the spokes are fatigued and are snapping.

I have one complete front wheel, one spare front wheel hub with an odd number of spokes (spares?) on it, and a complete rear wheel with one broken spoke. You can contact me if you're interested - Or if not, let me know if you have any joy fixing yours up, and I'll see if I can do the same!

James

#3 ·
They can be repaired...

Joel
After having spoke problems in two different rides last year I was worried that my Rolf Vector Pros were giving out on me. However I was able to find mechanics at both rides to give me temporary fixes, and my bike guy at my LBS has found flat spokes that work. Talk to you bike shop mech and see what he can do. Since my last incident in September, I have had no more spoke problems almost 2000 miles! And I am a big guy, 6'5 270.

Bruce

#6 ·
The situation with my Vector pros is that I had one spoke blow out while riding, had it replaced by the LBS only for another to go 5 miles later.

Is it possible/advisable to rebuild this wheel? What is causing the spokes to snap like that, and will replacing the entire spoke set solve the problem?

Thanks

#7 ·
rolf vector pro hub

Regarding the tool that is needed for replacing the spokes, I found that the home depot brand husky nut drivers (size 3/16") fits in the wheels. Much better to buy a set at $16 than a dedicated rolf tool at $20.

However, I only know this because the rear hub on my set of vector pros is cracked and I am looking for a replacement myself. Jimmey- do you still have your broken set?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.