Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

carbon fizik rails (with that tape on it) don't fit in Ritchey WCS side clamp?

7K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Eric_H 
#1 ·
So I have a WIlier with a one bolt Ritchey WCS stubby post on the integrated seat mast. I bought the larger replacement side clamps for the 7x9mm carbon rails on the fizik saddles. This should fit, but that tape fizik is sticking on the rails now actually makes the rail dimension closer to almost 8x10mm. I think the only way I can make this fit is to remove that tape. Does anyone know what the tape does? I know if I remove it and the rails fail, I'm screwed on a warranty replacement. However, with a side clamp, they may not warranty anyhow. I'm only a 145lb roadie so I'm not stressing my saddle as much as others do. Anyhow, should I return the aliante saddle and get something else, or take off that tape and take my chances? Thoughts? I'm a little irritated because all the stores said this would work. When I was trying to put one of the clamps on, the tape already started to chip off in one spot. Its not the most durable stuff evidently. If I could change out my seat post, I'd jsut do that, but with the seat mast, I don't get that option.

thanks everyone!

#2 ·
I had to get the 7x9 fizik adaptor too for my carbon railed Aliante and it's worked out fine with my Cento1. There is a little binding/crimp from the clamp to the tape but nothing major. I'm also 143lb and been riding it for about 6 months without any issue. You may want to take a closer look to see if you're fitting it correctly.

#3 ·
still not working.

well, I'm not sure how you accomplished that one. Unfortunately, that tape makes it too tall for the clamp to slide onto it. The clamp is an actual 7x9.6mm as measured by me. I finally used a caliper to also measure the rails with the tape and its actually 8x10.3mm. If I was just squishing it down with a top and bottom clamp, I think I could make it work. However, it doesn't even sit flat into the bottom part of the clamp for me to push the side clamp on. I asked Fizik and they said the rails are typically around 7.8x10.3mm. The tape is there to help buffer the rails from any cuts that might eventually form on uneven clamps. Actually they weren't freaking out about the tape getting damaged but would prefer it stayed on. I wonder if I just did a good job of filing off any edges on the clamps if I'd even really need the tape. Most likely I'm just going to send this back to the store I got it from. I'd rather not mess with voiding a warranty on an (expensive) product that is prone to failure.

#4 ·
I think the intention of the wrapping is to protect the carbon from any sharp edges on the seatpost clamp. I have used the braided carbon rails with Thomson posts only, and I have noticed that after clamping the tape "compresses" in the area of the clamp. I always check the edges of any seatpost clamp for sharpness or burrs. If there is anything I use a small round file or emery cloth to smooth things out.

I think you should probably just go ahead and use the saddle/seatpost combo. The post will mark the tape where it makes contact but I doubt you will have a problem as the braided carbon rails are very strong. Just check the contact points for sharp edges before torquing down on the clamp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.