Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Mount Evans CO ascent planned...

3K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  RussellS 
#1 ·
On our vacation this summer the gf and I plan to ride up from Idaho Springs. I'm not concerned for myself but it will be a long day for her. Anyone do this and how was it?

#2 ·
It's not that steep, but it's the distance and altitude that'll get you. Start early and don't linger at the top (storms almost always roll in the afternoons). Be prepared for ANY weather--this means bring cold weather/raingear. Oh...you have to pay to get past Echo Lake area so bring cash for that also.

#3 ·
I tried to ride up once, but the road was closed due to snow.

#4 ·
I did the race a few years ago. It felt distinctly unhealthy to be at the top. I could tell that my thinking was impaired. I wanted to take the organizers' van down but I did not want to wait for it, so I rode down very cautiously. Once I got down to 11k' or so I felt normal. It was a really hot day (90+ at Idaho Springs) yet it was cold at the top.

The view was awesome. I wish I could have stayed longer.

If you live at altitude (i.e. Denver) then the altitude may not affect you like it did this weenie Californian.

#8 ·
#9 · (Edited)
My advice?

Unless you're both already accustomed to long mountainous climbs, I'd forget Idaho Springs and start halfway up at Echo Lake instead. That's still over 4,000 feet of climbing in 14 miles.

I'm a lowlander and flatlander and starting from Echo Lake really stretched my limits. It was the toughest 14 miles I ever rode. At the summit, it was the most satisfying ride I ever rode.

As hard as the climb was, for me the descent was even harder. The wind picks up during the day and the pavement is in terrible shape. Oh, and no guiderails. Watch that first step!

I was wanting to let it out and be one with gravity, but the crosswinds threatening to blow me over the side and cracks, marmot tunnel cave-ins, and potholes forced me to rein it in until I reached the treeline.

That said, I'd like a pic like this with each of my four bikes.

NOTE: There are no services on the route. You'll have to carry everything with you. For me, it was a three hour ride up, including rest stops. Ordinarily I go through a bottle an hour. Hence the trunk bag with more water in the pic. I went through four bottles on the 14 miles up and 14 miles back down.

Oh, and take warm clothes and a jacket for the descent. My trip was during the longest stretch of 90°+ days on record in Denver. It was effing cold at the summit of Evans. I wore two jerseys, armwarmers and tights and was still cold without my jacket, but I refused to wear the jacket for the photo.

#10 · (Edited)
My advice?

Unless you're both already accustomed to long mountainous climbs, I'd forget Idaho Springs and start halfway up at Echo Lake instead. That's still over 4,000 feet of climbing in 14 miles.
You'll kick yourself later if you travel all the way to Mt. Evans on your vacation & don't do the complete ride. You came all that way for a big challenge right? Sack up & do the whole thing. Keep your ascent rate very conservative above 10K so your body has a better chance to adapt to the thin air as you ascend. Alot of super fit riders wind up with altitude sickness because they are able to ascend so quickly. Keep it slow unless you are well acclimated. Pound alot of liquids above 10K even if you are cold/not thirsty

#12 ·
I rode up this mountain in a car back in 76' as a young boy. There were few if any guardrails then and I am surprised there still are not many. If you go off the cliff at one of many turns, you die. If you get sick while at the top, ask someone with a pickup truck if they can take you down. I'm sure most people will have no problem with this. Don't cycle down sick.

#13 ·
You'd might be surprised at who does/doesn't do well at 14,000'. Your GF could potentially drop you at 10,000' and never look back. It effects everyone differently and you never know until you're there. I've run Pikes Peak several times and even though I had no problems, I never really felt my best at the top. I would also agree that it's still a pretty tough ride, even for those of us living at 6500'.

I did Evans on a warm day and it was still cold as crap coming down, so be prepared. I think being cold led to me braking a lot, which then led to my hands cramping. Not my best day.

#14 ·
I know, like I said above, it can strike at any time. I've ridden at altitude before and never had a problem, but anytime might be the first time. I actually worry about descending, I've went down thousands of feet before and had to stop because my hands hurt from braking so much on a mountain bike. Those were v brakes though, one big advantage of disk brakes for serious use.

#15 ·
Is there cell phone service on Evans? It's been many moons since I've ridden it. Might be helpful if the foxy lady wants to turn back and you want to complet the summit. For a warm-hot day in Denver, the clothes to bring would be knee warmers or tights, arm warmers or long sleeved jersey, vest or jacket, long finnered gloves, and maybe some toe warmers. I would carry a camelback for clothes and h20 for the gf, it will appear chivalrous, but might make your life much easier in the long run. Pay attention to the downhill lane while climbing and make mental notes of dangerous spots, it will make the descent safe and fun. An Armshtrong approved white lunch sack would help quite a bit also.

#16 ·
not sure how long you'll be there, but I did it (from Evergreen) in 2001. I guess I got lucky, it was a beautiful day, no storms and I don't recall it being that cold at the top. I do remember after 13,000 feet having a much harder time breathing-- even though it's not that steep, having a 46/30 12/27 chainring/cassette combo was a big help at the end.

I was already in CO (from NY) for 12 days before I did that climb, I did a supported tour and then the triple bypass. 2 days later I went up mt evans.

#17 ·
After some decision making this morning about our yearly summer vacation, we decided to skip Colorado this year. That climb is still on my list, but we decided to go more north to Glacier National Park.

#20 ·
I climbed Mt. Evans back in 2007. July. 46-30 chainrings. 13-29 cassette. Never used the 29. May have used the 26 for a short distance. All in all it was not a steep climb. Just a long climb. Actually two climbs. Idaho Springs to Echo Lake. Then Echo Lake to Mt. Evans top. Came from Dillon over Loveland Pass and into Idaho Springs. Then in the afternoon I started up to Mt. Evans. Got to the top about 4:30 PM. Ranger said it was the latest he had ever seen a bicycle at the top. Windy and cold at the top. Don't recall if I had any warm clothing with me or not. It was manageable temperatures. Started to snow/rain while I was at the top. But that stopped after a few minutes of descending. There is a store, souvenir stand at Echo Lake at the entrance to the park. Food and drink will be available there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.