Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Giro Atmos helmet uncomfortable??

11K views 27 replies 26 participants last post by  triumph3banger 
#1 ·
I am not a newbie and I have worn a number of helmets. I bought a new Giro Atmos helmet a few months ago and I just can't get the helmet to feel comfortable.

I should clarify, it's not the helmet it's the strap. It's actually the strap on the right side of my face. No matter what I do, I can't get it to lay flat so when I ride it digs into my face right in front of my ear.

I have tried to adjust the strap and just about every other adjustment. I tried a Specialized Prevail and that helmet felt awesome!

Does anyone have this problem??

#5 ·
I wonder if there's a way to use some Shoe Goo & glue the strap a tiny bit forward, or backward if that's the case, to the inside of the helmet. You wouldn't want to move it very far as that might effect its effectiveness in a crash. might be worth a try. If it were me I'd try it out 1st using a piece of duct tape. If it worked then I'd use the Shoe Goo. Shoe Goo is strong but completely removable.

#6 ·
I've got two Atmos and both are very comfortable and I've had no issues with the straps. I always take the time to adjust the straps before I take them out for a ride.

Peace :cool:

#9 ·
I have an Atmos. Got it a couple months ago. I have a similar issue. Does the same thing, but on the left side of my face and ear. Fiddled with every adjustment. No solution yet.

#13 ·
I was able to solve that problem to my satisfaction by sliding the straps by each other. That put the Y was forward of the original position. I guess my ears are in a different place than Giro expected.

I have a different problem with the Atmos helmet. It keeps sliding forward. I guess the adjuster in the back turns loose. It's not as bad when I don't wear a headband, but that's rare because of the heat.

#15 ·
I've got the Atmos. I bought it after running over my Ionos in my driveway. Don't ask.

The helmet is a little awkward on my head too. The right side particularly. But the helmet is made identical from one side to the other, and my ears are CLOSE to level with each other, so it's got to be something we are doing with regard to the straps and buckle positioning. Keep tinkering with it, and so will I. Let you know if I figure something out.

#18 ·
Anyone want to toss up a youtube of how they fixed the strap problem? The helmet feels incredibly comfortable, but the straps....!!?? Help! Both sides are a bit twisted.

Steve530, what do you mean, "sliding the straps by each other"?

Ashpelham, any luck?

With a helmet this nice, there surely is a way to adjust the straps for most heads if the helmet itself fits comfortably on the noggin.

Thanks for any tips!

#21 ·
I had a similar problem, but not as bad as what you describe. First, move the clip down so that the triangle the straps make around your ear is larger. Note that this will also effectively shorten the straps a tad, so you might have to let the clip at the bottom out a little.
When you put it on, make sure the straps are lying flat on either side of the helmet, slide it on your head. Then pull the back straps pretty hard and youll feel them give out a bit, but it flattens them out for me. A little tug on the front might be necessary.
I do it like this every time i put it on, and I forget its there sometimes.

#26 ·
New question but related. I have an Atmos helmet and love it.

The straps are now starting to run on my neck when I'm riding.

I notice that the Pro's seem to have some sort of padded strap, does anyone know what it is where you can get it, or any other solutions to stop the strap from rubbing.

Only vain solutions, I don't want to put duck tape all over it!

thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.