Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Bar tape on fancy carbon bars

11K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  rward325 
#1 ·
So, I noticed a few riders in the TdF this year that did not wrap their bars as far as you normally would see, Voekler's yellow jersey edition Colnago being a notable example:

Vino's Tarmac, too:

I'm a sucker for the latest "pro" trends, and besides, I always thought it was a shame to cover up the cool graphics on my carbon bars with bar tape, so I gave it a try and I think the results are pretty sweet. I almost never put my hands on the bar there anyway, so I don't really lose anything in terms of grip.

So, what's the verdict? Anyone else following the pros and cutting down on their tape? Or is it just a passing fad to be eschewed by the masses?

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks good, but slippery. I only put my hands there on long slow climbs, so I have no idea if the grip matters.

Any pics of your bike?

#7 ·
Been doing this since 2005 since I bought an ITM K-sword bar for my airborne and have continued w/ my CX-1. Gloves work great on the unpadded areas. Glad the pros finally noticed me! LOL...

#10 ·
I need to re-wrap my bars and I think I may leave a bit off to show how awesome my profile design bars are. My average speed will jump at LEAST 5mph right?!?!?

#11 ·
Yes, it will.

And that stock broker that barely sees daylight and just dropped $8000 on a road bike last week thinking he'll do a century next month will happen too...............

To the OP, I cover my FSA Kwings all the way up. I guess I could go with the tops uncovered. I wear gloves and all. I may try it once and see how it goes. I was thinking of changing the bar tape soon anyway.

#20 ·
All of the wing type bars produced today have ferrules for cabling and are formed for the hand on the underside. I have been doing it since 2008 and it was already pretty common in here in California. I have never had issues with slipping with sunscreen in the other aero position or any there position. I have even ridden them with no gloves(forgot gloves on group ride) and no issues.

#25 ·
See... I got Easton Carbon bars and they were smart enough not to put baller pro logos on where the bar tape is supposed to go ;P

#30 ·
I wrap my fancy 3T Ergonova LTDs all the way. The flashy big 3T logo disappears, but under beautiful Celeste. I can live with that.
I've tried no wrap on the tops, and for "normal riding" it's not necessary. Thing is I like to bomb on the many gravel roads we have around here, and then a firm and secure grip on the tops can be quite handy.

The 3T Ergonovas do not have internal cable routing, so some clear tape is needed to make it look tidy without the tops wrapped.

#32 ·
On the Aluminum 3T Ergonova bars there is no internal cable routing but still a flat surface on top. In this instance I decided I needed to tape all the way up on the bars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.