Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

tire sealant for Tubulars

13K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  AvantDale 
#1 ·
Anyone here using any type of sealant in their tubulars?

I have Vittoria Corsa Evo CX's, no removable core so I'm wondering if theres a sealant to use or should I not bother?

The wheels are Bora One's if that matters, or anyone asks

#3 ·
I use Stan's. But also keep in mind I am a new tubular user so my opinion does carry alot of weight. I have only exprienced one flat on tubular and it was a totally blow out. No amount of sealant in the world coulda fix it. Which has effected my complete trust in tubulars. I only ride them in crits now. To afraid of being stranded in the middle of no where.

#6 ·
there's been a lot of threads/post to this subject and i've searched high and low to find stuff and a lot of the experienced guys have used surgical/aquarium tubing with an oral syringe with Stan's to push the fluid past the valve with success. Others have gone the direct method with an actual needle syringe and injected it into the tubie and then pumped it up and let the stans do it's magic.

Other creative things have been to take apart a hand pump remove piston from chamber, fill w/ stans, put the piston back in and put the pump on presta and pump into the tubie.

YMMV, i am going to do the surgical tubing and oral syringe to inject into my inner tube on my clincher to test. My Conti Sprinters have a removable core so that's not going to be a problem to add stans to that tubie

@Pwnt: your situation even if you had clinchers wouldnt it have resulted in the same situation? being completely stranded? if you cut a tire on a tubie you pretty much cut the tire on a clincher as well rendering both useless. I plan on folding a pre-glue spare wrapping it and strapping to underside of saddle on rides.

#7 ·
yes I've looked high and low too but I want the easiest solution without doing the syringe thing or buying other tubs with removable cores.
Im really looking for a solution like the Vittoria pit stop but with better overall flat qualities, possibly as a preventative flat option. Something like Tufo's extreme with a Vittoria Pit Stop presta applicator.
If such thing even exists

#9 ·
My Conti Sprinter tubulars loose 2-3 pounds per day. The tubulars with latex tubes will loose even more.

You can use the Vittoria Pit Stop with any valve since you don't take the valve out. However, after you have used the pit stop it may become more difficult to pump up the tire since it may clog the back of the valve core.

#11 · (Edited)
I guess you can use the Pit Stop as a preventative. Its looks to be just foam, I'm not sure how long it would remain liquid. Seems like it would harden fairly fast.

I had to use my Pit Stop a few weeks back. It got me the 20 miles I needed to get home. The tire was flat the next morning. Make sure you bring CO2 or a pump along with the Pit Stop. The sealant will only fill the tube to about 30psi. The rest of the air, you will have to use a pump.

I run Vittoria Corse CX tubulars and the latex tubes will bleed out 15-20 psi over night.

I've got an 80 mile ride this weekend...not sure whether to put my clinchers back on or just carry two cans of Pit Stop.:idea:

Oh yeah...make sure you let all the remaining air out of the tire and put the valve stem at the 12 o'clock postion before injecting the Pit Stop. If you don't...you may end up with more foam on your hands than inside the tube.

#15 ·
I find when I get flats (rarely), I usually get rather significant holes, the type the lighter-weight stuff won't seal too well, especially at the pressures I tend to run (120 psi). I've had good luck with the Tufo extreme sealant, though. Haven't tried Pit Stop & the other brands.

I also ride Tufos pretty much exclusively. The removable cores make injecting the sealant a snap. The only drawback with Tufos (and some other tires) is that the inner-tube is bonded to the casing, which itself is one-piece, making it extremely difficult - nigh impossible - to repair the way we used to repair tubulars back when they were still called sew-ups.

#19 ·
The vittoria cx's have a removable valve. The whole aluminum shaft that includes the valve is removable from the base so you can fit longer versions made for deep section rims. You should then be able to get the sealant into the tube using the shringe type dealy. I just carry pit stop and and extra tire in case that doesn't work

#23 ·
Had a full blown puncture in my tubular today, but the Stan's I injected a few days ago sealed the hole. I heard a hiss and saw sealant spraying out of the tire. I kept riding...and within a few seconds the Stan's started working. There was less and less fluid coming out to where the puncture was completely sealed. I lost about 20 psi before the hole sealed. I aired the tire back up to 115 and so far the air is still holding.

Here is the cut,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.