Votes: 17 48.6%
  • Fango

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.7%

Grifo or Fango?

11K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  murphy1 
#1 ·
If you could only have one set of tubs (for now, others may be added later), would you go with the Fango or the Grifo? I've heard quite a few people say that the Fango is faster but with more grip, so I'm not really sure what to choose.

It's usually not muddy here, and when it does rain it's not that muddy. Usually we just have grass and sand..lots of sand.

Also, are the Grifo or Fango 34c UCI legal? I know that they claim to be 34c, but a lot of times tires are actually smaller. And before you mention something about not being in a UCI class, I won't be in a UCI class for most of my races, BUT if I decide to race nats I will be in a UCI class.

#2 ·
I've had both. I REALLY like the Fango for anything other than deep sloppy mud. i haven't measured them, so I don't know how wide a 34 is. i'll check. Get the Fango. you won't regret it. They were my only tires last year.

#4 · (Edited)
I know you said only one set, but I prefer two sets like a file tread (FMB Sprints) and a more aggressive tread for lose stuff, mud, and snow, (FMB Gripo XL). I typically have 4-5 sets of race tubulars each season and rarely go to the in between treads. For me, when I look at a course, I either need to go fast as possible or I need excellent grip. But if you have few races in mud or snow I would says file tread. I am on file tread 90% of the time. This is not the only way, but its my way of racing.

#5 ·
I'd like to be able to have a file tread and a pure mud tire, that would probably be the best setup for where I race, but I'm already pushing my budget for new wheels and tires.

I really wish someone (challenge) would come out with a pipisqualo type tire!

#6 ·
2 Fangos or what pretender said. That'll get the job done in 99.95% of the races you'll do. As for width; I measured mine at a tick over 34mm, so maybe I'd go with the 32s?

#8 ·
#12 ·
I have them on Reflex which are wide rims, so that might work. XS's are a bit narrower in general, FWIW....

#14 ·
And, no, I am not affiliated with aforementioned website. H%ll, I've never actually ordered from them.(Got 2 screaming deals on files and Rhinos on e-bay). That said, if I was in the market, I'd be ordering too. Glad to be of service:D

#15 ·
Anyone want to give some tire advice to a noob in the Southeast (racing primarily in NC, SC and GA). I'd like to use Challenge tires as they sponsor our team. I'll have 3 sets of wheels for the season. One pair of Easton EA 70X tubulars, and two pair of clinchers (Easton EA 90 SLX and Mavic Elites). The Mavics will be my training tire, so I was thinking of putting a Grifo Pro on there as they are inexpensive. I would like to run a good all-around tread on the tubular as it will be my primary wheelset for racing. I will bring the other two sets as back up. The EA 90 SLX's are generally on the road bike but I'll bring those since they are much lighter than the Mavic's. Anyone got any good advice on what to mount on what?

#16 ·
For all around I'd go with either Grifos or Fangos, then get a mud clincher.

#20 · (Edited)
If your season includes a few mud fests, the aquaseal can't hurt. My experience with Challenge tires is when the exposed bit of cotton basetape along the edges starts to wick mud and water and start to erode. YMMV- I'm still using relatively old-school narrowish rims (GP4s), the newer wider rims will have less base tape exposed. I've always treated my sidewalls, and FWIW, my oldest Grifos have maybe a total of 25-30 races over 4 seasons in them (I have several sets of wheels), including maybe 10 where much of the course was under water/mud. They still have another season in them I think- I shellacked the base tape last year before reglueing to help the wicking problem which seemed to help a lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.