Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Wilier Cento1 shifting problems, posted in frames but didn't get answer

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  FBinNY 
#1 · (Edited)
I am thinking about a Cento1, and read online about shifting problems associated with the rear chain stay. I posted in frames, and only got one response, which was non-specific. Let's see if the more component oriented crowd has more experience. The post over there said......

I have a current design Ridley Noah. I've always hated the sloppy shifting that I think is caused by the angle of the cable into the frame. Gore cables helped but didn't solve it. I swore I would never have internal cables again.

I've been looking at a Wilier Cento1, but it has internal routing through the chain stay. I've been googling the topic of shift quality and it sounds questionable. But nearly all those reports were a couple of years old, I am assuming that this is the design that had problems(?)

Bike with old design? (click on close ups, shows external stops with what appears to be a through-frame route between them)

Here is the current design shown in the pic on this page

Current design (stops are part of the stay at entry and exit points)

Has the problem been solved with this full internal routing?

See less See more
#2 ·
Internal routing only causes problems if the cables get crossed internally in the downtube. Many times other shifting problems are caused by the housing leading out to the rear being too short.
I know this isn't specific, but it's the main causes of shifting issues.

#4 ·
In my experience, I've never found internally routed cables to be better or worse in function, though they can be a pain the thread. If you use decent quality cables, and have the housing loops the right length, you shouldn't have problems.

Most of the shifting problems I do see, are because of sloppy fit of the housings in the fulcrums (cable stops), poor ferrule selection, poorly cut ends, and overly long or short housings with too many or too sharp bends.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.