Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Problems with Cinelli cork?

2K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  onespeedbiker 
#1 ·
I just R&R my handlebar tape with Cinella cork; it didn't turn out well. I have used Cenelli cork for 20 years and never had a problem; never even had the tape break until today. This tape seemed more thin than usual on the edges with larger holes in the cork. While wrapping the first side I had one 30% tear, on the second another tear about half way through and then "snap" the tape broke off in my hand as I was stretching it; as I said I have wrapped perhaps 25-30 handlebars with this tape with nary a problem. Fortunately I don't like the way the color contrasts with the frame so I'm going to replace it. Has anyone noticed an issue like this with Cinelli tape or was it probably just a bad one that got through?

#2 ·
I think the problem was that you threw away the old cork. I'm still using cork from 10 years ago! I rewrap the same one over and over. I'm so cheap!

#5 ·
I was switching out my brifters and unfortunately the OEM tape was white Cinelli cork, other wise I would have used them. I am just so surprised as the white tape I took off while looking dirty, could easily have been re-used while the new Cinelli cork was, well, is was crap :mad2:. I have also tried synthetic cork like Deda and Profile Design with good results. Too bad, because I really liked the old Cinelli cork.

#3 · (Edited)
The last time used Cinelli tape I had the same experience. Not sure if it's because I've been using stretchier tape but I find the Cinelli stuff rips way too easy and is a pain to install. The only thing good about it is the cool finishing strips. For a time (10 years ago) it was all I used, now I steer clear...I like the Deda tape best now.

#4 ·
With time comes the thought of how can something be made cheaper then before, and now Cinelli has found a way to save a penny a roll. I concur with the Deda recommendation. Or if you really want the best try leather, it will cost more but it will last virtually forever, I think Velo Orange has the best prices on leather tape.

#7 ·
The gel cork is quite a bit different than plain cork; it's more elastic and pretty much unbreakable; but it feels different and doesn't absorb sweat as well a plain cork (IMO).

#9 ·
One has to be careful with the Cinelli cork tape...it's rather fragile and doesn't stretch too well, and because it doesn't stretch it doesn't always cover my bars. I switched to other brands that really let me wind the stuff on tight (Deda, Bontrager cork-like tape, etc.).

#11 ·
By the way, Salsa makes leather wrap for $55, and Nashbar has leather for $30 on sale from $60 in either black or brown. Some places even sell a variety of colored leather tape. If you use leather it will have a seam which presents a wrapping challenge. You have to wrap it in such a way so that the seam sits under the brifter hoods. I wrapped my touring bike with black leather and it looks great. I do own Brooks saddles so I put Proofide on the leather handle bar tape to protect it. Proofide will probably darken the brown tape but didn't alter the color of the black.

#12 ·
Just changed out bar tape and went with the the Cinelli cork. Didn't have any problems with it tearing while wrapping the bars but really don't care for it. Bike shop didn't have a whole of selection. You had Cinelli, Bontrager and the Lizard Skins tape which was twice the price.

#13 ·
Cinelli Cork is ... well Cork.

So it doesn't stretch and has natural holes into it.

It is normal , you just have to be careful when you install it. once done right it's great.

#14 ·
Perhaps you missed the part where I said I have been wrapping handlebars with Cinelli cork for 20 years and this is my first problem..

#15 ·
Had the same experience. Switched to Gel tape and haven't looked back.

#16 ·
In the last three or four years, their tape has changed for the worse. I don't use it anymore.
The new and improved cork tape doesn't even last a year now.

#19 ·
I need to agree with those who find the recent Cinelli cork tape to be disappointing. The last time I used it it seemed fragile and the black wasn't as black as I would want. It also frayed at the edges much sooner than usual. I keep coming back to Nashbar cork tape: it is cheap (especially when on sale), wears well and doesn't get slippery.

Other disappointing tapes that came highly recommended: Fizik (or however they spell it) Micortex, wore out quickly, showing grey under the black and Profile Design, very slippery when wet.

#22 ·
It really pizzed me off when this happened because Cinelli used to be the only one who made a tape the colors that I liked (Rasta), but I discovered that Serfas makes one similar, that lasts a little over a year.

#23 ·
Well, Cinelli is back on my A list; took a chance on more cork tape and it turned out perfect. The old tape must have been a bad batch. I removed the bad cork and replaced it with some Cinelli "Stars and Strips" cork tape and it went on as usual; easy and looks and feels great! :thumbsup:

#25 ·
I have heard that also; up to know I have only used single colors. If the design wears out after a couple of rides I'll deal with it (I got the tape real cheap); it's still good to know that Cinelli cork tape quality seems to be the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.