Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

So; anyone here ridden the PDX AND the new (300tpi) Fango?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  macdonc 
#1 ·
How do they compare? It's hard for me to want to switch a tire that I really like for all but the muddiest or driest condition, but I will if you can convince me the PDX is superior to a Fango.

#2 ·
I love the PDX compred to the Fango, although my Fangos are a year old, so I don't have the new casing. I liked the Fango on most stuff, except for when it was greasy. They never packed up, but the transition knobs are severely lacking. Off camber and fast slick turns where you lean the bike over got to be a bit scary. Also, as the center knobs wore, they lost a lot of driving traction. I prefer the Grifo when it gets sloppy and slick, because at least there is a bit better driving traction and they feel more predictable in the corners. I did come to really like the Fangos as a step between semi-slicks and a full knobbed tire, especially if there was some loose sections of the course. This year has been mostly dry and they've really been a good tire.

That said, I really like the PDX. The center section rolls very fast and the transition knobs work really well. Nothing hooks up like a Dugast Ryno in the slop, but this tread pattern does a damn fine job. The casing feels very similar in suppleness to the old Fango/Grifo casing, but the sidewalls seem a bit tougher when it comes to getting scuffed and worn. The only complaint I have with them is that they aren't as good a digging straight on traction out of the slop like the new Limus. That tire is a freaking tractor. But it's also slower and can pack up a bit easier. All in all, I did most of my races on the PDX and was rarely wanting another tire, and if so it was only for the briefest of sections and never the whole course.

#3 ·
Thanks. I have a pr of Rhinos for when it gets really nasty. I'm leaning towards the PDX.

#4 ·
You won't regret it. I used the tubular PDX on all types of courses this year and was truly satisfied. It hooks up most anywhere, does not pack up with mud and rolls as well as anything else on all but the smoothest surfaces.

I also really liked that it was built very straight (unlike a lot of handmade tires) and the tread wasn't constantly peeling from the casing. Wee bit lighter than a fango tub as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.