Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

EA90 SLX Flex

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  gibson00 
#1 ·
I got a new set of Easton EA90 SLX from a friend recently, these are not he Performance Bike wheels, these are the ones that retail for $1050.00 with the ceramic bearings. I had a chance to ride them over the weekend and I was suprised how much flex these wheels had. The front would rub the brakes as soon as I got out of the saddle and not even pushing it. They flex more than any other wheel I have owned. I contacted Easton and there great advice was open up my brakes. You must be kidding me.....

I am 190 lbs and think considering the price point of these wheels they should be a lot stiffer. I will say they do climb and spin up real fast.

Anyone else see similar results. I wonder if the spoke could be retensioned to stiffen them up?

#3 ·
Slightly off topic, but I've got my EC90s on my bike at the moment. They flex a little more than my 32 spoke triple laced trainers, but opening up the calipers has fixed that. I'd echo mcr23 that Easton's rims seem to be pretty wide compared to others. I'm 5'9 and 185 pounds, and Seattle has some serious steep hills you need to stand up and stomp, and I don't get any brake rub.

#4 ·
I got a new set of Easton EA90 SLX from a friend recently, these are not he Performance Bike wheels, these are the ones that retail for $1050.00 with the ceramic bearings. I had a chance to ride them over the weekend and I was suprised how much flex these wheels had. The front would rub the brakes as soon as I got out of the saddle and not even pushing it. They flex more than any other wheel I have owned. I contacted Easton and there great advice was open up my brakes. You must be kidding me.....

I am 190 lbs and think considering the price point of these wheels they should be a lot stiffer. I will say they do climb and spin up real fast.

Anyone else see similar results. I wonder if the spoke could be retensioned to stiffen them up?
Simply put, I think you are too heavy for the SLX wheels. You would be better suited for the EA90SL wheels. I am 200# and have no issues with flex in the SLs.

#7 ·
I have some EA 90 TTs. I am 160 lbs (5'6") and I can also feel a fair amount of flex in them. Some in out of saddle sprints but a lot more when I push it up a climb. I recently got some Reynolds DV3Ks and I could feel on the first test ride that they are a lot stiffer. Absolutely no flex in a sprint.

#8 ·
You cannot have the best of both world...at your weight, a lightweight shallow aluminum wheelset with low spokes count will flex. I'm very fit and muscular racer at 172 lbs and I can flex alot of wheels.

Now, my shallow/light wheels are Shimano Dura-Ace C24 and (except my rim oxidation problem) they are the stiffest lightweight wheels I tried.

BTW I saw alot of racer changing there Easton wheels during races because of a broke spoke...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.