Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1forALL? EA90 SL, SLX, or AERO?

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Sypher2109 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I'm a CAT 4 racer that doesn't have a lot of funds to make a very expensive wheel purchase but would like to upgrade my wheels. I can't afford owning a training wheelset and a seperate dedicated racing wheelset.

I'm 150lbs and race mainly crits and rolling road races.

So my question is of what is a good wheelset that I can use for eveyday riding and good enough to race with?

Easton EA90 SL
Easton EA90 SLX
Easton EA90 Aero
I have a pair of Easton EC90 SL Tubulars (that I'm gonna be selling to save a buck because I can't see the practicality of riding tubulars for everyday and I don't deserve them with my lack of training and performance as of late, OR is there no problem riding them everyday and I should keep them.
Mavic Cosmic Carbones have also been suggested to me.

What does everyone think?

See less See more
#6 ·
Eh, I bought the my EC90 SLs last year and never got to use them and since I'm only a Cat 4 I was thinking about selling them off and getting an aluminum clincher that was good for everyday and good enough to race with at my level. And since I haven't been training at all I was thinking of selling the EC90 SLs unless its a better idea to just keep them.

I don't know why I was looking at Easton I just kinda was for their price point value.

I got my whole EC90 SL setup for $1200 including wheels, mounting, and cassette. And since I'm not training and performing I thought it would be a waste of $1200 just sitting there and I thought it was a little undeserved to be racing EC90 SLs as a cat4 and didn't think it was practical to have a $1200 race dedicated wheelset, and didn't know for sure if I could ride them as daily drivers.

I want a wheelset that I can use everyday and that is good enough to race with at my level. Id want to spend not more than $800 if that. I thought the Easton EA90 SLs would be a decent set to go with, and the only way I would spend the $1200 value of my EC90 SLs is if I keep them. So if I sell them I don't want to spend more than $800. The other option is I keep the EC90 SLs.

What do you guys think?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.