Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Camelbak Elixir or Hammer Nutrition Fizz or Saltstick

5K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  dekindy 
#1 ·
Elixir seems to have some undesireable ingredients, according to Hammer Nutrition, Saltstick is made in China so I am concerned about whether it is manufactured properly although it seems to be used by a lot of athletes, so does that leave Hammer Nutrition Fizz product by default?

Also, on usage, the charts seem to indicate that supplements are not required until 2-3 hours into the ride because electrolyte levels rise initially before falling?

#3 ·
SaltStick made in USA

FYI SaltStick Caps proudly made in the USA. The plastic dispensers are made in China.
Furthermore SaltStick is the only electrolyte capsule on the market to be tested free of banned substances by an independent lab in the UK.
More info on what makes SaltStick useful for athletes on the SaltStick.com website

Jonathan

#7 ·
FYI SaltStick Caps proudly made in the USA. The plastic dispensers are made in China.
Furthermore SaltStick is the only electrolyte capsule on the market to be tested free of banned substances by an independent lab in the UK.
More info on what makes SaltStick useful for athletes on the SaltStick.com website

Jonathan
What about the safety of the materials used to manufacture the dispensers?

#4 ·
Trust

Personally I would have very little faith in what one nutrition supplement company says about another nutrition supplement company. They all (Hammer included) offer some pretty questionable advice aimed at getting you to choose their products over some other products.

"The charts" are ignoring the fact that your body needs time to transport the electrolytes from the gut into the cells and that things get messed up when you try high doses of electrolytes to make up for all the salt you lost in those first 3 hours. You have to learn what works for you since people's sweat salt content varies by a factor of 20 or so.

None of these electrolyte supplements give you anything that you can't get from a mix of table salt and lite salt (salt substitute = potassium chloride).

#6 ·
Sounds like it's time to post the recipe thread again...

Listen folks, there's no magic here. Just a few basic, cheap, ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen. Before shelling out cash for "cycling specific nutrition," read the ingredients and look at the nutrition chart.

Rehydration drinks

Measure all ingredients precisely. Small variations can make the drink less effective or even harmful. Mix the following:
1 quart (950 mL) water
½ teaspoon (2.5 g) baking soda
½ teaspoon (2.5 g) table salt
¼ teaspoon (1.25 g) salt substitute (potassium-based), such as Lite Salt or Morton Salt Substitute
2 tablespoons (30 g) sugar

^^^^^^
This is what I've been training and racing with for 2 years now. Sometimes I add OJ or other flavors, but that's the basic formula. I've done centuries, long road races, weekend club beat-downs and weeknight crits in temps over 100F.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.