Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Fango or Limus for my one tubular wheelset

8K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  tsunayoshi 
#1 ·
My pit bike has clinchers and I am covered for tires for that (Grifo & Limus based on conditions). My A bike has tubulars, and about 50% of the time last 2 seasons I couldn't run my current tires (Tufo Primus) because it was too muddy and they were useless, so ran the clinchers from the pit bike.

I am looking for a set of tubular tires for the A bike that I can mount to cover both dry and wet/muddy conditions reasonably well. I've narrowed it down to Fangos or Limus. I would prefer the Limus but I've heard that are really only great for muddy races as the knobs are too squirmy for drier conditions. The Fango is billed as Challenge's wet/mud tire, and based on looks it would appear to be an ok drier conditions tire.

So for one tire to run all season: Fango or Limus?

#5 ·
FMB and Specialized are out because I can't get them through QBP. My team is sponsored by an LBS so we get team pricing on anything in the QBP catalog. Challenge, Tufo, Clement, Vittoria seem to be my choices. I see a lot of Challenge at races, and if I had 2 wheelsets the Limus would definitely be on one of them.

I have a grifo clincher on my other bike, great dry tire but looks like it would pack in the thick mud we get here.

#11 ·
Having ridden Fangos for several seasons I'd agree they are not mud tires. In fact they suck in it. Good for wet grass and drier conditions. It's time to replace them and I'm probably going to go with Grifos or possibly FMB Grippo XL's.

#12 · (Edited)
Fango = 1-stop shop for mild MABRA

I ran Fangos on my sole set of tubulars last fall for mid-Atlantic racing and thought they performed excellently as an all-arounder. If you believe this year's conditions will be comparable, I'd go with the Fango.

I'm inclined to believe most "B"-level riders, despite their own self-assessments, are not very good at cornering in general (especially in slick stuff) and therefore are not really optimizing the use of the knobbier tires anyway. You get the greater rolling resistance of the center knobs without really being able to exploit the advantages of the side knobs. That's just this guy's opinion though.

#13 ·
If it continues to be hot and dry my Conti files will get a lot of use....

#15 ·
Had a local racer friend see this and he totally praised the Fango for our local mixed conditions...he is extremely analytical about his gear so I am going with his suggestion. Anecdotally I have heard extremely good things about the PDX, and after riding the LAS clincher around gravel and singeltrack on my cross bike and loving it, was really tempted, but I can get the Fango for almost half the PDX at my LBS so went that route.

Next year I will have a 2nd tubular set so that will have a Limus for the truly nasty days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.