Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Northwave Extreme Tech sizing

12K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Krackor 
#1 ·
This seems like the shoe for me, but I'm unable to find a local shop that carries inventory and will have to resort to ordering a pair. In other brands I fit:

Giro: 45-45.5
Specialized: 45
Bont: 44.5-45 (too narrow in 44.5, too much volume in 45)
Sidi: 45 mega
Mavic: 11
Shimano: 45

On Competitive Cylist, their sizing chart puts me at about a 44 in Northwave, but the size comparator at artscyclery.com suggests a 45 (comparing Northwave Aerlite to Giro Trans in size 45). My foot is generally wider and flatter than average.

Does anyone have experience with NW Extreme Tech sizing?

#3 ·
I wear a 43 Northwave Extreme Tech and a 9.5 Mavic or a 43.5/44 for everything else.

From what I can remember, NW used to run big but with the Extreme Tech, it normalized itself with other brands. If you have a wide/flat foot, I think 44.5 might work with their red footbeds but it's always going to be a crapshoot. Good luck.

#4 ·
I have the NW Extreme Tech for about a month. My best riding shoe ever, I also have S-works and Lake, and used to ride Sidi. Nothing even close to a hot spot after about 500 miles.

Size-wise I followed the guidance and got 44.5, it is just right for me, I am U.S. size 10.5-11 in most shoes. I'd guess you'll be happier with 45 in Northwave.

Be forewarned, these do not have the widest toe box (Lake wins in that category). Another reason to size up, in my mind.

#5 ·
I've got Specialized (s-works), Giro (trans, gauge), Mavic (zxellium ultimate), DMT (prisma 2), Sidi (ergo 3), and NW (extreme tech) shoes. All of them are size 46 in normal width except the Mavic which is an 11.5 (I think they equate that to a 46 1/3?). So pretty much comparing apples to apples here.

That being said, the NW ET's seem to be the "longest" shoe. Toe box didn't seem particularly narrow to me. I probably could have sized down half a size or so, but I bought blind online and its close enough as it is.*

*Just went outside to try on all my shoes, the NW ET's had the widest toe box, tied with my Specialized shoes. Then again, the NW's were overall the largest shoe.

Don't know how much help my comparisons are though, cause I thought my Sidi's and Giros fit about the same, but your Sidi/Giro sizing is different.

#6 ·
The length of my Sidi and Giro fit is about the same. The width on the Giro is just a little snug in a 45, so half a size up gives me some nice room. Other than width issues, I think I'd be 45 in both (if Giro offered a wide version, I'd be 45W, same as the Sidis).

That's one heck of a shoe collection you have there!

I went through the fit calculator on Lake's website and came up with 44.5W. Too bad I can't find the cx401 in 44.5W available literally anywhere, online or in store (anywhere). Anyone know where I might look?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.