Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Cateye Strada wireless computer recs..?

4K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Ppopp 
#1 ·
the trusty ol' Cateye Vectra that I've had since the early 90s died tonite...hard to say how many miles that thing has logged...

so, given it history of reliability, I kinda want to stay with Cateye.

looking at the Strada wireless...

anyone have comments...like it, hate it?

#2 ·
I'm not sure if they improved wireless in the last 1 year or so but generally wireless are less reliable then wired and have less features for the same money as a wired job. I had 3 different brands of wireless, Cateye Wireless II that Cateye replaced the sending unit after it failed one year past the warranty and that sending unit failed 2 years later; VDO MC10 wireless that the sending unit failed after 2 1/2 years; and a Vetta RT288 that it's sending unit also died after 2 years. The computers still worked but the sending units all failed. Also the sending unit batteries last about 6 to 8 months vs 5 years or more for the computer battery, the more you ride the faster the sending unit bats die, I rode an average of 5,000 miles a year.

So after spending all that money on replacing wireless computers almost every 2 years I gave up and went back to wired and got a Sigma 1609 with cadence and so far it's lasted about a year and half, but with no sending unit I don't anticipate any problems since my last wired computer lasted 20 years!

If you must have the clean wireless look then obviously get a wireless computer, but try a Sigma instead of Cateye, VDO , or Vetta. But be forewarned, you may have to buy a new computer every 2 to 4 years.

#3 ·
don't have to have the wireless model...if the Strada wired version is more reliable and easier on batteries, I could live with that as an option.

the only reason I was looking at another Cateye was due to how much I really liked the old Vectra...the thing was bulletproof. outlived 3 bikes....

#4 ·
Cateye isn't making stuff as good as they use to, which is true with most companies. Before I got the Sigma I looked and handled a bunch of brands of computers and all their buttons felt cheap except the Sigma; Cateye never use to feel cheap, they do now.

#5 ·
Avoid like the plague!
That being said from a lover of older Cateye computers!! I had a wireless strada, then changed to a Sigma after 10+ rides. Reason? At stop lights I was getting speed readings of 60mph+ while standing still. The traffic light sensor was interfering with the computer sensor... The new digital ones may not have this issue, but the Sigma was less expensive and the local shop carries them.

#9 · (Edited)
Avoid like the plague!
That being said from a lover of older Cateye computers!! I had a wireless strada, then changed to a Sigma after 10+ rides. Reason? At stop lights I was getting speed readings of 60mph+ while standing still. .
I use to have that problem with a rear mounted sensor I was using, then I discovered I was accelerating to fast and would just stand there smoking the tires off... I bet that was your problem too!

But seriously, I never had any reading issue with any of the wireless computers I had like some complained about, even while passing under those huge power lines carrying power to Los Angeles. As far as read outs go I liked them, but they didn't hold up. The only read out issues I had was the sending units for some reason seemed prone to stop working when the temps dropped below freezing, but the computer was still functioning as a clock but the sending unit froze? Maybe the contact froze? As soon as it thawed out it would start working again.

I work hard for my money, plus I'm a tightwad, so my mentality is always about how to buy something that will last a long time. I hate to buy new crap just because something failed a few short months after the warranty expired. Then I've established a baseline of life expectancy from an older computer (for example) that lasted 20 years so I expect the same, or at least close to same results from a new one; and if I don't get those results I want I'll try a different brand. Call me weird but I'm demanding that way. With today's technology there is no reason they can't make a computer last 20 plus years, which they can do, but it's all about getting us to spend our money faster. I don't even need a computer, it's just nice information to have, but I tell you what, if they can't make these things last longer then 3 to 5 years anymore I'll stop buying them, either that or I'll go to Walmart and pay $9 for cheap Bell and replace it every couple of years or so if they want to play that game! But I think the wired Sigma should last a long time so I'm not at doing the Bell thing yet.

#6 ·
I have a 2-year old Cateye Strata wireless on one bike and a 6+ year old Cateye wireless on my wife's bike. Each is reliable. Each gives the same reading for the same distance. The reading is accurate as I check it against fellow cyclists' odometers on century rides. The only issues I ever had are (1) fiddling around to get the sensors on the wheel and the fork to be "just so" and (2) at times my Max Speed reading (which I almost never care about) has been too high.

#7 ·
have two; thumbs up

I use the wireless Strada on two bikes. One is 4 years old and the other is three. I like it. Simple one push operation. Even though the display is somewhat small, the numbers are very large and easy to see. No problems with reliability or erroneous readings

#8 ·
Have one and it's fine

Had not used a Cateye computer since the early 90's. Last year put a wireless on my retro-New steel Japanese custom and it's fine. Functional, easy to use and read. Also reliable. Currently living in Singapore but when I went back to the States last year for a wedding, bought an extra mount and put it on a bike I had in Stateside storage and it worked fine. Recommended!

#10 ·
I have three bikes, the wife has two. On three of the bikes we have Strada wireless. One bike has the Strada double wireless. The fourth bike has Planet wireless. The oldest CPU is three years old. They all work perfectly. No issues at all. I did get a Sigma unit but it was defective out the box. I returned it and picked up the double wireless. I would recommend Cateye wireless for reliability, accuracy, easy installation, and ease of use.

#14 ·
I have the Strada wireless and it's worked flawlessly for me. Had the Cateye Micro Wireless before that and was great too, but the Strada is smaller in size with larger display. If it wasn't for the fact that I want a GPS computer I'd be keeping mine for a long time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.