Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

River City Bicycles SKS Split Fenders

10K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  PSC 
#1 ·
Looking to get fenders put on my 2001 Klein Quantum road bike. Checking to see if any of you have the SKS P35 fenders that River City cuts and then put on there bracket so that they fit on a road bike. just checking to see how there holding up. For $160 I dont want something thats just going to last one or two seasons.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

#6 ·
Fenders on a Klein? Try PDW's new Full Metal Fenders. No need to cut them. They fit on my 58cm Q Pro with 24mm Vittoria Paves. They look sweet and are well-designed. Seem solid compared to the plasticky fenders and even compared to the Honjos on the other rain ride. If you don't like the PDW fenders, buy SKS RaceBlade Longs. They come pre-split with easy on and off connectors.

#9 ·
I use raceblades meant for 23mm tires with my 25mm Conti GP4000s tires.

They seem to work fine - clearance is smaller between the tire and the blade, but to compensate I just set them up a little higher than they'd normally sit and they've worked fine so far.

#12 ·
Depends on how difficult your installation is.
My wife opted for these (the RCB SKS split fenders) on a bike that looked like a simple fender mount to me. I don't know how easy it would have been or not- but I can tell you of the 3 supposedly-great/supposedly-simple other DIY options (all listed on this page), the RCB ones are the ONLY ones that have been hassle-free.
YMMV.

#15 ·
I think there's some confusion about the product THE OP is talking about here -- this is RCB's "reach around" fender bracket. This is a fan-friggin-tastic invention.

The Reacharound brackets themselves cost $15 per set -- not too bad -- plus $40 or whatever for fenders.

Look at a bunch of bikes in the PacNW sometime -- for every decent fender installation you'll see half a dozen terrible ones... it's a pain! You can get really great results with these if you know what you're doing.

I have yet to try the PDW set, those are a recent release, but I like what I see so far.

#18 ·
wanted to get any recent feedback. I am in the situation where I need to put fenders on a bike without fender mounts. like the look much better of the PDW so if both the PDW and SKS can only run 23mm tires I would go with the PDW.

I assume if I went with the RCB Reacharound solution I could run a 25mm tire no problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.