Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Thoughts on a Giro Atmos helmet.....

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  looigi 
#1 ·
Picking up a Atmos helmet from a friend for a really good deal and wanted to get some thoughts, good or bad.

#2 ·
Real nice helmets. Seem to ventilate better than average leading to your head being cooler. They seem a bit more ovalized in shape than some helmets. That means they don't quite fit my head as well as a Bell or Specialized helmet. But if the shape is right for your head, you wouldn't like those that fit me.

By ovalized I mean they seem longer vs the width of the helmet. Bell seems closer to being a circle (though it isn't quite a circle of course). And this isn't an extreme, the differences are fractions of an inch. But those fractions either fit your head a bit nicer or not.

#4 ·
I own 1 in Med size, I leave it as loose as possible when wearing my Halo skull cap underneath on chilly mornings it is a tight fit. When it warms up it is nice to have the vents keeps my head cool. I have been using Giro helmets for MTB for many years plus currently road cycling so I know they last. I say try it on see how it feels to your head & see if the straps fit well around the ears. If it's a good fit make the purchase if not find another brand. It is not for everyone.

#8 ·
FWIW, the Prevail doesn't fit my head well at all, but the Specialized Echelon fits great. I don't think they make the Echelon anymore and I haven't tried any of their other helmets yet.

There're two shape characteristics that I check, oval vs round in a horizontal plane, but for me more important is the slope/shape at the top of the forehead. If this is wrong, I get hot spots and other discomfort. If it's right, I'm hardly aware I'm wearing a helmet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.