Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Top tube bag

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  2:01 
#1 ·
I've been on the search for a top tube bag. One issue that I've found is when standing/pedaling, my thigh brushes up against the bag. Very annoying. Since I ride fixed, I do stand enough for this to be an issue. What I need is a quick access to food and a place to put some small personal stuff (phone, keys, etc.). Any suggestions?

#3 ·
This.
Bento bags are for racing. Handlebar bags are for when you actually want to carry stuff.

#5 ·
I've not used that model, but the Revelate bags are thoughtfully and solidly constructed.
You won't be disappointed with the construction.

#8 ·
I have three bottle basements and cages on my tourer. There is a gap between the two top cages. It shouldn't be difficult to jury rig something in that space. The spread between the pedals ensures that you'll not hit the cages or the pack. I also travel with a top trunk that is insulated that is very handy.

#10 ·
Art853 - I think that would be the best solution. After a month on the Revelate bag, my knee does hit the bag enough to be very annoying. Especially on extended climbs when I'm up out of the saddle for a looooong time. That bag has found its permenant place on my MTB.

I may have to go custom, but something like a frame wedge pack that fits on the front will probably work best, as it gives me quick access to food.

#12 ·
I would find a way to make a handlebar bag work. Lots of different mounting systems out there that could work around brake levers on the flats. The Jandd handlebar bag mount is a tad clunky, but it does hold the bag out from the tops pretty well.

Alternatively, you could get a small front platform rack - similar to what came stock on the Salsa Casseroll for a couple years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.