Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Crank arm fell off

3K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  High Gear 
#1 ·
#2 ·
There are seven main steps to follow when trying to solve a problem. These steps are as follows:
1. Define and Identify the Problem
2. Analyze the Problem
3. Identifying Possible Solutions
4. Selecting the Best Solutions
5. Evaluating Solutions
6. Develop an Action Plan
7. Implement the Solution

I think you did good with the first step.

#13 ·
There are seven main steps to follow when trying to solve a problem. These steps are as follows:
1. Define and Identify the Problem
2. Analyze the Problem
3. Identifying Possible Solutions
4. Selecting the Best Solutions
5. Evaluating Solutions
6. Develop an Action Plan
7. Implement the Solution

I think you did good with the first step.
lol that's not even helpful..

#4 ·
I hate when that happens. You probably want to put it back on, and tighten the bolt more.

Tightening a crank bolt, and noticing it's loose before it falls off, is pretty basic maintenance. Hope you didn't wreck it by riding it loose.

#6 ·
Actually no, his crankset is toast. Unless things have changed in the last few years, when a crank falls off a spindle the spindle is toast... And the crank won't stay together again.

#14 ·
Posted that from my phone this morning.
Whole Story:
No, I didn't crash. I have a hill that's about a 7% grade that I come down on my morning commute. If there are no cars in front of me (no bike lane) I can hit 38 mph. Luckily this happened about halfway to work, 15 minutes after the big hill, as I was crossing an intersection at about 7 mph.
A couple of minutes before this happened I thought that either my cleat was loose on my shoe, or somehow the float adjustment on my pedal had loosened. So I stopped and checked both and they were fine. Never occurred to me that the crank arm could be loose.

The nut takes an 8mm Allen wrench which I don't have on my multi-tool, so I couldn't have done much with out on the trail, and wouldn't have been willing to keep riding unless I tightened it correctly anyways.

Had my support team (i.e. wife,Moho kept reminding me how much she had to do today) pick me up and take me to the LBS.
the spacer that was on there was wrong, so while I waited they fiddled around with it until they found one that was the right size and put it back together.
Took about 20-30 minutes and they wouldn't let me pay.
I've purchased shoes, headlight, tail light, etc from there, but guess where I will be purchasing all of my future stuff from?

#15 ·
Sounds like you got real luck on this one. In the right situation things could have been ugly. Great bike shop to get it fixed and asked for no payment. Great LBS to fix it no cost. Sounds like they know how to get and keep customers. Just proves a pre ride once over is worth the time. Glad you did not get hurt

#20 ·
Man, this could have been real ugly. Great shop by the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.