Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Quandary: what is the best sweatband in your opinion?

32K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  Dave Cutter 
#1 ·
Hello fellow riders,

I have noticed over the last few rides as the weather gets warmer, I tend to sweat a bit more. Yes, I know this is a shock! Who would have ever thought?

Anyway, the sweat gets into my eyes and needless to say it burns, I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a really good moisture wicking/holding/eliminating sweatband that I could wear under my helmet to prevent this from happening. I am hoping to find something as I have the New England Classic Tour de Cure coming up and it will be a miserable 150 miles if I don’t find something.

Thank you in advance for your assistance, pithy comments and other input!

EEC

#5 ·
I have the same problem. Lately my sweat has been really salty and blinding when it gets in my eyes. I shave my head which makes it worse. Normally I wear a headsweat and they work great. But on extremely humid days and long rides, they become saturated. If I don't stop to wring it out, it turns into a faucet and just starts running sweat into my eyes.

I've heard good things (here on RBR) about the Sweat Gutr and plan on giving it a try.
Sweat GUTR | The Ultimate Sweatband™ | Performance Headbands | Tunnel Vision, Inc.

#20 ·
Same here. Not perfect but works well. Last ride I was doing an 1 hour climb with the sun beating on my back. At one point the sweat was going good, but I turned my head sideways and let the sweat go out the side and not run on my face while never missing a beat climbing. I wear glasses and I HATE sweat on the glasses. The halo works really well to keep the sweat out of my eyes and off my face. It can saturate and drip, but I am quite happy with how it works.

#9 ·
Based on the reviews I'd read and the recommendations here, I ordered a Halo II.

Thank you all.

EEC

#11 ·
Hello fellow riders,

I have noticed over the last few rides as the weather gets warmer, I tend to sweat a bit more. Yes, I know this is a shock! Who would have ever thought?

Anyway, the sweat gets into my eyes and needless to say it burns, I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a really good moisture wicking/holding/eliminating sweatband that I could wear under my helmet to prevent this from happening. I am hoping to find something as I have the New England Classic Tour de Cure coming up and it will be a miserable 150 miles if I don’t find something.
Another vote for Halo. Any sweat band/headsweat device can saturate and drip but I find the Halo to work better than just a sweatband. I can sometimes feel the sweat running down the side of my face just in front of the ears and I know that would have otherwise been dripping into my eyes.

Sweat Gutr gets a comment once in a while but there doesn't seem to be much of a user base and some of the comments are quite negative.

The real answer is to move someplace with really low humidity!

#13 ·
I use a Halo II sweat band. I live in South Louisiana where it is really, really humid and haven't had any sweat getting in my eyes or falling on my glasses issues. The Halo fits nicely under the helmet too. Halo has some other versions of their sweat band so check out their website. I even use the Halo in gym.

In the "winter" I use a Headsweats Skull Cap or a Pearl Izumi skull cap or beanie--it's light weight but has some ear protection.

#17 ·
I had never heard of the Halo II until today. Being a bald guy, if I wear the Halo II and go for a ride here in sunny souther California, the top of my head is going to look like I have tiger stripes (even with sunblock). As such I opt for skull caps that 1) keep the sweat off my face 2) keep my head from tanning with odd helmet lines :)

#21 ·
I normally use a cycling cap or a bandana.

#27 ·
Where is all the salt coming from? Have you always sweated like this.... or is your body doing something new?

OK... I use cheap doo-rags because I am bald and I don't want the sun burning my head. I do sweat... everyone sweats... but I don't think salt is a major component in the sweat now-a-days.

I am old... so I remember back in the old days of sports we took "salt pills". Even in school sports we had salt pill dispensers in the locker room. It's crazy to think we never knew any better... than to just gobble down salt. I think the "salt crust" left over in [most peoples] evaporated sweat [today] is mostly calcium, Potassium and other important trace minerals.

Does Sweating During Physical Exercise Make You Lose Important Minerals?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.