Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Handlebar Sizing Help Please

677 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Local Hero 
#1 ·
I'm in the market for a new handlebar and am having trouble deciding what size to buy. I would typically take a 42cm handlebar, however, i'm reading that some bars like fsa(wing, force etc) and 3T ergonova's are measuring from the end of the drops, which happen to flare out, leaving a slightly smaller sizing at the hoods(ex:42cm sized bars measures 40cm at the hoods). I'm led to believe I should be shopping for a 44cm sized bar from these companies, or am I best suited for a 42cm sized bar? Please advise, thank you.

#2 ·
What's more important to you, the measurement at the hoods or the bar ends? For me it's the measurement at the bar ends because I'll be in the drops racing when it matters most. If you spend most of your time on the hoods--either climbing or riding casually--the measurement there should take priority.

Read carefully before ordering. It gets confusing because some companies like 3T measure their Ergonovas at the ends while other companies like Williams measure their Maxim ACS at the hoods. Size 42 Williams is wider than size 42 3T. For the record, I run size 42 Williams on my road bike and the 40 3Ts on my track bike. And I love them both.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.