Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

I don't like "training."

3K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  spade2you 
#1 ·
By that I mean following one of those training plans that are in most cycling books -- a mix of intervals, long rides, recovery rides, etc. All I do is ride in fast groups 4 times as week and push myself to take my share of pulls and not get dropped. I've been getting stronger and having fun. And as long as a I ride with stronger cyclists and keep pushing myself I think I'll keep getting stronger. But I'm curious to know how many people follow a specific training routine. They seem so boring!

#2 ·
it all depends on your ultimate goal? are you training to compete in races? or are you riding, pushing yourself just to be stronger rider?

If you don't plan to race, i don't think there is no need to follow so-and-so training routine. I was told the only way to get stronger, is just keep on pushing yourself, and i noticed big improvement doing so myself.

#4 ·
The latter. But suppose I did want to race. Given an equal time commitment, could I expect to improve faster if I were doing some specific training routine as opposed to riding with stronger cyclists like I'm doing now? I suspect I wouldn't, though I'm not going to test my theory. I'm having too much fun doing what I'm doing.

#3 ·
Training sounds like a pre-req for the real thing, never the real thing. Training gear is always lower quality - "It´s ok, it´s only for training".
I prefer a carpe diem type of riding every time I´m on my bike. Carbon tubbies, Vittoria Evos etc. Life is too short!

#8 ·
I train (multi sports), but it's not a specific routine written down on a piece of paper. Since I train six to seven days a week simply because I enjoy it, I can do whatever I want and have enough experience to know what to do if I feel like improving one certain aspect.

Schedules can be a wonderful challenge. I did those in track and field and if properly mixed they keep you hungry for the next training session. Too much of the same thing and you are in danger of getting stuck in that particular routine and within a certain comfort zone (even if it doesn't feel like it). That's why trainings can feel so uncomfortable. They're supposed to be.

#9 ·
A club that I ride with put out a ride schedule where the ride leaders included a name of the ride. On guy often titled his rides as "Training Ride". He doesn't race, so I asked him what he's training for. His response was that he's training for the next "Training Ride".

#10 ·
If you understand and employ the principles of training in your everyday riding, you can get the large majority of the benefit (90+%?) of highly systematic training. Do hill repeats, loosely timed intervals, sweet-spot/tempo riding, ... without necessarily doing things to the second or the Watt.

Ultimately, you're riding for fun, so decide what will make it the most overall fun for you. Going faster and beating your friends to the town line might be fun enough to offset having less fun during tedious training.

#12 ·
Op I have a friend that does something similar to what u do. Pretty much only fast group rides. He's fast and I think the key for him is that he does a mixture of fast open road rides with little stopping and city-type rides with punchier climbs. So he gets a mixture of fitness.

But I think if u ride the same course every week that eventually you will plateau for certain aspects of fitness. Maybe you'll be fast on that specific course because you know where the sprint points are or where you can rest. But maybe if you want general fitness across many types of courses maybe a plan is better.

I do a mixture of both training and group rides. The training allows me to work on weaknesses that I have and group rides are fun and show how I've improved.

#13 ·
I have a lot of running experience but less with cycling and tris. But I found my running training ideas carry over. A training schedule works when you have limited time or want to make as efficient use of your time as possible. A good plan makes for improvement but you also need to allow flexibility for those days when other things conflict. A training schedule also can lead to mental fatigue and burnout too when the schedule feels like its dictating you.

When I have time, what works is 80-90% of my time as long and easy. The other is intense, whether it's an actual race, intervals, pyramids or some other type of speedwork. Its relatively unstructured and it works.

But if you race, training is just part. The rest is experience with surges, cornering, making contact, sprints, following wheels, etc. You get that in actual races and occasionally in some fast group rides

#14 ·
If you're competing you need a couch [of sorts] at least to prevent Injury. For many since the competition is just for fun... a book or training plan takes the place of a coach.

Training... can be enough! There are tons of ways to enjoy cycling and for many... it's the training that they really enjoy. Being in training can add a little extra edge of purpose for many people. Being in cycling season training can be the reason to skip the piece of cake... say no to the third beer... or turn in early on a weekend night.

#18 ·
My first year of racing, I did nothin' but intervals, time trials, and hammerfests. It was fun and I made some progress for several months. A few riders told me to follow more of a plan and I dismissed it because I was having a lot of fun and seeing a lot of quick improvement. Racing was over in mid July and that's when I hit a hell of a wall and had a miserable remaining summer and Fall.

I now follow a training plan and try to resist temptation of hammering when I should be recovering.

#21 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I rode 123 miles this weekend, took numerous pulls and pretty much spent myself. A specific training plan would probably benefit me if I could follow it, but I don't think I have the will power. I think I'd probably get worse. One guy I rode with yesterday showed me how not to plateau, even when riding in a group. We did about 50 miles, averaging 23-24 mph, and he rode one of these. Damn.

View attachment 284103

#26 ·
If you are serious about reaching peak performance you need to ride with a purpose, which often means skipping the group rides because it isn't effective to have your pace dictated by the collective mood of other riders. In the first several years of getting bike fitness most people can make strong gains with group riding, but it will level off as you become one of the stronger people in the group.

If you hate training then don't screw up a good sport with it. Some people get into the discipline of training and some others only like it in context of anticipated joy in racing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.