Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Please Help: Carbon handlebar crack question

5K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  satanas 
#1 ·
I recently acquired these 3T Ergonova Team Carbon Handlebars and noticed a crack in the stem mounting area where the previous owner overtightened the bolts. My question, from your experience does this look like a cosmetic tear, or has the carbon been compromised? Would you feel comfortable riding these bars? Any help would be appreciated, thank in advance!

View attachment 284022
View attachment 284023

#2 ·
Myself...I would not ride them seeing that from what I can judge to be the scale.

#3 ·
I recently acquired these 3T Ergonova Team Carbon Handlebars and noticed a crack in the stem mounting area where the previous owner overtightened the bolts. My question, from your experience does this look like a cosmetic tear, or has the carbon been compromised? Would you feel comfortable riding these bars? Any help would be appreciated, thank in advance!
I would personaly stay away from them. Seems like the carbon has been compromised.

#5 ·
The damage looks bad enough to me that I wouldn't trust them.

And a lot of people don't know that these bars are counterfeited in China and cost $70 new. If they're fake you can't have any idea of how well they are made.

Many of us don't buy used carbon bars, seatposts or stems.

#9 ·
I have some FSA carbon bars that have a sticker with alignment marks and some other printing under the clear coat where the stem clamps. The stem winds up disrupting the sticker a bit and it looks bad but the underlying CF is unaffected. Similar is the Trek Madone external seat post that clamps on the outside of the seat tube. The seat tube has a sticker with height marks and it too gets smooshed and wrinkled, but again the underlying CF is unaffected. Can't say this is whats going on with your bars and it is certainly better to be safe than sorry.

#11 ·
I had a 3T carbon bar that has that same stuff where bar clamps. It was there most expensive bar. When installing for first time and not really tightening stem clamp that stuff started to crack and brake off. After riding and removing bar the stuff was almost completely off. Personally I would just scrape it off and examine carbon underneath. Kinda cheap for 3T to do that. Deda bars have much better grip in that zone and it doesn't Come off either. Removed bar twice still as good as new.

#13 ·
Don't ride them. I have an FSA K-wing that has less damage than that (the infamous carbon ding, ding, DONK) and I won't ride it. Mine was from a semi slide where the bar hit a rock.

So, look at FSA, Easton or WilliamsCycling bars. I like them all. You can dig and get FSA and Easton on closeout sometimes. What are you looking to spend?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.