Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Dura-Ace 7900... left shift lever has three clicks, not two. Normal?

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Mike T. 
#1 ·
Sorry folks, I have to plead complete ignorance about this. It has been a long time since I’ve ridden a road bike - easily 9 years, and the last component group I had was Ultegra.

I have a Dura-Ace 7900 group (two chainring crankset). The left shift lever does something strange:

When going to shift from the inner to the outer chainring, there is an extra “click” that occurs along the path of the lever before shifting takes place. At about 15-degrees, this first click occurs. Then, as I continue to push the lever inward, the the front derailleur moves and the expected (and louder) indexing click occurs to hold the derailleur in place.

Is this normal?? What is this extra click?

#7 ·
I was riding with mine today and paid attention to it (which I don't normally do). The trim click when going from big to small ring is quite (relatively) big but going from small ring to big it's very slight and subtle. It's possible that if a person wasn't aware of their presence, they might never know they existed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.