Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Stem, handlebar, and fork upgrade.

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  wim 
#1 ·
I am new to this forum and was hoping you could give me some advice.

About a month ago I picked up a 2009 madone 5.2 in great condition,and I have been keeping my eye out for a few upgrades here and there. I ran across a guy who has a bontrager xxx lite fork, stem, and handlebars off a 2010, they are is great shape except the fork which has a few chips in the paint but no carbon damage.

Would this be a good upgrade to my current rxl fork, stem and rl handle bars? I could get all three for around $200.

Thanks
-Kyle

#2 ·
All 3 together for $200? Exceptional deal even if Bontrager stuff doesn't have major resale.

The functional gains wouldn't really be there, but it's nice stuff for cheap. It'd be a "just because" purchase. You'll have some blingy carbon parts and could respray the fork. Would only hope it's all in safe working condition.

Odds are people may bring up the worry about carbon bars being "fatigued". That would purely depend on if they were installed properly.

#3 ·
if the stem and handlebars are XXX also, I'd buy them for myself right now (assuming they're both the "right" size).

Bonty stuff is solid. I know it's Trek in-house brand, but this is no different in quality than S-works or Cinelli.

#4 ·
they are is great shape
But keep in mind that with carbon, there's always the possibility of damage not easily seen or even impossible to see. So while the "great shape" assessment may be correct, there's also a small chance it may not be even if the seller is completely honest. "Fatigue" is pretty much a non-issue—carbon has everything else beat by a mile when it comes to that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.