Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

any race cars drivers here training with a bike

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  migdriver 
#1 ·
I race in SCCA and right now i have been biking twice a week, endurance work out at the gym and weight workout at the gym. I was wondering if there are any other drivers here and what type of program do you train on that helps in the car.

Thanks

#3 ·
I raced NASA for about 10 years and most of that time never did lot of exercise training. When I added in 45 min of biking a few times a week I could run a full race without much cardio effort. However I feel I was in my best racing form when I was also mtn biking. I think it had to do with the need to feel the bike over the rocks and maintain balance grip between front and rear wheels to clear terrain. I believe that gave me a better feel of the car mid turn and allowed my hold the car at the limit better. However I have no real data anymore. I pretty much have taken a break from car racing while I have increased my cycling.

#7 · (Edited)
#11 ·
Used to race during period when driver fitness was a secondary issue, so no specific training in gym at that time.
However: my sense from talking with friends still active in the upper reaches of the sport is that fitness both endurance and gym/weight time is mandatory.
And , though you're probably not doing 2 hr events , it's worth noting that many F1 current drivers are avid cyclists and or use it as part of their training regimen to the point of traveling with their bikes: road or mtn to different venues not just for pre-practice course inspection but for fitness. So, can't hurt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.