Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Spent 9k on a bike and no rim tape?

6K views 53 replies 31 participants last post by  little_shoe 
#1 ·
Bought a top of the line bike three months ago and got a flat. Upon changing the tube discovered the local bike shop that outfitted me decided not to install rim tape? While technically not required , I can't believe a bike a shop wouldn't just do it on a new bike. Anyone have any relevant experiences?

#42 ·
^ this

Man tough crowd out there - and I feel bad for partaking - gorgeous bike, but those wheels?

#15 ·
forget the rim tape, looks like you got bent over with those Kysrium Elites!!

A $3000 Scantante bike from Performance (when it's on sale) will get you Dura Ace shifters and Kysrium SL, and will probably outclimb your Colnago with Elites.

So if I were you, I'd be very pissed off, but not about the rim tape.

#24 ·
Since you asked, I just spec'd out a Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Think 2 with Shimano Ultegra 6800 and Zipp 404 clinchers for $9246 shipped, no tax, and all the hard parts assembled. If you can afford $9k on a bike, what's another $246 for a bike that's lighter and has a better bling factor?

#21 ·
I'd be afraid to race a $9000 bike, but I'd feel comfortable riding it on a bike path at 13 mph.

PS, I have a tri-spoke that doesn't use rim tape either.

Maybe I should put some on.

#28 ·
it's called confirmation bias.
No, it's called "those wheels of yours suck". They're defacing a frame that hasn't deserved that kind of treatment. Then you throw in the Shimano stuff to literally add insult to injury. And, no, what you got is certainly not a top-of-the-line bike; you paid top dollar for a Frankenstein creation that no self-respecting professional would ever assemble. A disgrace if there ever was one. Sorry.

#26 ·
Your rim tape comment and attack on the bike shop was a bit hasty. A quick search on the interweb would have sorted that out for you quickly.
With regard to the attacks on your Colnago that's complete BS. If you love your new bike and can afford it F'em. Lot's of people have Rolex watches as well but a Timex will do the same thing right? Whatever make YOU happy as we only get one shot at this life, enjoy!

#29 ·
Unfortunately the OP correlated the fact that he spent $9k and got shitty wheels.

No one is saying that the frame isn't great, but he got hosed on the wheels. If he didn't want to hear comments, why even state what he paid? He could have just said I got these mavs with my colnago. Etc etc...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.