Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

I'm entering Gran Fondo 100 miler ...how bad is Bear Mtn ascent?

12K views 66 replies 16 participants last post by  stoked 
#1 ·
Hey there,

I'm entering the Gran Fondo in NY in May. How bad is the climb towards Bear Mountain? is it something that can be conquered with a compact gear and high cadence on the small chainring?

#5 ·
NJBiker will they have clear directions on how to get to the GW bridge start line . . . I read an article on bicycling.com or was it another magazine, but the writer said he had a hard time finding the path to get to GW bridge from the Manhattan.

In your experience, is everything posted clearly and visibly?

I hear the race ends in weehawken NJ. Is there like public transportation (bus/metro train that allows bike to get back into NY)?

#6 ·
I think there is a ferry back from Weehawken.

I parked in Weehawken and rode over the bridge to the start. Good way to warm up. I was with a couple of friends but there were people directing traffic on the NY side. Plus lots of riders going the same way. Got into a group with some of the organizers.

The ride was nice. Really hoping for better weather. Last year was bad. Doing it solo this year so going to try and really nail it.

Where are you coming from? Unless you are already in the city, the NJ approach is probably easier. I would rather have a short warm up ride in the am than crawling home after leaving it all out there at the end of the day.

If you are local, also try some of the prep rides from Strictly Bicycles in Fort Lee.

#8 ·
I'm coming from northern virginia near Washington, DC. I know there are hotels in Paramus . . . is that sort of near the GW bridge, or is just better to get lodging in Manhattan instead and just ride through.

By the way, how is the 2 day expo that's included with registration? any free goodies?

#13 ·
The expo is nothing great. Really just a few goodies mostly for sale. You have to go to get your registration I think. If I was coming from out of town just for the ride, I would stay in Weehawken or Hoboken. Paramus still requires a drive. I guess you could ride but really wouldn't know the way. I was not a cyclist when living in that area.

I know there is a W in Hoboken but not sure you want to be partying before the Fondo, might be fun after though. I think there is a Sheraton at Lincoln Harbor in Weehawken. That would be a short ride from the finish. And a Homewood Suites in Edgewater Town Center is right along the route (after the timed part). Actually that would probably be my suggestion for just doing the ride. Some decent food options and easy enough to get into the city for the expo. Closer to the start too.

Staying in the city, you would not really want to stay near the start which is more or less in Washington Heights. If you stay in the city, maybe the Empire Hotel or really anything on the West Side.

#17 ·
Paramus is nowhere near the GWB. It is a 10-15 minute ride by car and not by bicycle. There are no bike paths from Paramus and you have to cycle through half a dozen towns to get to the bridge. Paramus is due west from the start line and north west from the finish line. There is a Sherat

On the NY side, you're in upper Manhattan. On the NJ side the bridge empties out into a town called Fort Lee. Strictly Bicycles is right there on the route and you can certainly give them a call and ask about logistics.

I recently used Air B&B to stay in a home for a few days, for less than the price of a hotel you may be able to get a place right in Weehawken...or a place in Manhattan for a bit more. You may want to consider this in lieu of chain hotels, because those rental properties are everywhere.

Weehawken terminal ferry parking early early AM is golden.. you'd be able to stay anywhere and the ride to the finish line isn't long... a couple of miles up river road, a 500ft climb to the bridge and then across.

#19 ·
I am no expert, but I have watched a few YouTube videos. :)

My basic understanding of the science of climbing. The lighter you and your bike are the better. Then you focus on staying aerobic, specifically staying out of anaerobic states as much as possible. Most professional climbers run a compact ring and keep their rpms as high as possible. They stay seated until they need to make a dash. So conquering a climb is actually easier with a smaller chainring and proper training.

If you have thick thighs and calves (and don't look like Froome), like to run or bike short distances as fast as possible, then you might be more suited for a big ring. At least that's what the experts seem to say.

I'm sure you can find someone at a place like Strictly Cycles or Toga to get you the proper rear cassette for your fitness and size.

#20 ·
I think most of this is correct. Someone here posted a great article on efficient climbing.

Some things I took from that, personal experience and advice from better riders than myself.

1. Stay seated when you can. Spin up the hill. Especially true for longer climbs like Bear.
2. When you stand. Stand over the cranks. Use your weight.
3. Before standing shift to a slightly harder gear.

Bear really is not bad. It is the climb after it where I saw a lot of people walking last year. Of course they may have been tired from Bear.

#21 ·
It's a very tough century if you don't train. I did it last year after training for a semi-intense six weeks, riding 3 times a week. IF you start training now and follow a sensible plan you will do fine. Questions about compact gearing and hgh cadence, are some-what mis-placed. It sounds like you are weighing how much equipment can compensate for the motor not being ship shape and bristol fashion. Just train and worry less about what you are riding.

#23 ·
Add 10% per week. You will be fine in no time. Last yesr this was my secondary early season goal after an 80 mile gravel ride. This was kind of a step down that a friend wanted to do. This year it is my main focus but between the weather and time it is less focus than I should have.

Practice hills too. Particularly long hills for Bear. What I didnin the winter was to use Sufferfest The Hunted on my trainer and do a hill repeat after the 20 minute climb session.

#29 ·
Good Morning,
Get fit for the ride. Suggest ride this distance to the west of your area. I'm sure the Blue Ridge mountains would have this type of riding terrain. You & your group could do so pre rides to get your fitness in place.

Gearing, not sure what use at this time. You could try a 50/34 with 11-28. Should make you go over most all hill in the Hudson Valley if your fit. You need to be fit.

Make sure you are fit to ride a 100 mile with no physical problems.

Not sure of your goals.
Keep riding the distance or over distance to get ready.
Again, I would think you could find a few places to the west and a little south of you to try some pre rides.

Keep working to get fitness to the proper level.
Start now to get ready.

#33 ·
by the way, how will they manage queuing cyclists up per age group? is it just best just to start in the way way back or would you not advise that? I have average speed of 17.5 mph in 50 miles with 2500 ft+ elevation in my neck of the woods. Are there alot of crashes in the back in this granfondo as they are in category 5 races?

#34 ·
Last year was my first Fondo. Found that everyone tried to race out of the gate, without regard to their ability to finish or the realization that it's not really practical to make much headway in the beginning. I'm a little slower than you, but found myself passing a great many people between Nyack and the top of Bear Mountain. Unfortunately I wasn't in myself the best of shape, so I myself slowed down for the last 50 miles. Should do better this year, as I've been training all year with more climbs and distance.

#35 ·
thanks are the food stations really packed? also how many water bottles do they give you?

how's the food at the end of the race.

speaking of the people going out too fast, I think that will occur even more this year as they are timing all portions of the race. hopefully this doesn't translate into crashes.

#42 ·
the long one isn't that bad if you don't try to race up; spin spin spin and you'll be fine, hydrate and pace yourself, a hundred miles is a long way on the bike. and if you start out too quickly, you wont have anything left for the way back. and finishing up will, truly, be a *****.

the big hill is tricky, though. mostly cause once you get over you go down some nice little descents. problem is those descents become ascents on the way back. and a couple of them kinda suck, they've gotten me pretty good a couple times. you really have to discipline yourself not to go too fast, to conserve enough energy to get all the way through. again, start too fast, and soon enough, you will be finished. before you want to be.

thanks for reminding me, though, i have done the bear but not in fondo fashion. i think i might sign up for this one...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.