Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Switching to Campy to take advantage of wheel deals

1K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  bikerjulio 
#1 ·
Sooooo sick of clicking on ads for "40%!" "55%" off!" only to find the deal's for Campy hubs. No, not switching from Shimano. Just getting burned out trying to find a good... okay, great deal on wheels.

#2 ·
Well, the best is never going to be cheap. :)

Seriously though, Campy's wheels seem pretty competitive on price. And all with a pretty good reputation. Why the gripe?

#5 ·
Let's see if I understand the problem.

You are shopping for a Shimano wheel, but finding that the good deals are on wheels with Campy freehubs - which you don't want.

Correct?

Bear in mind that in the new 11-speed world, the two are very compatible.

#8 ·
This is news to me. Are you saying that Shimano/SRAM 11-speed cassettes are now interchangeable with Campag 11-speed without changing the freehub body? I thought the spline spacings on the freehub body were different. If they are now both the same then either Shimano or Campag have changed and presumably there are backward compatibility issues with 10-speed?

#9 ·
Zen's post is a little, how you say? wrong.

@jta has it correctly.

The splining is quite different, but the 11-speed spacings are now compatible. Only drawback presently is the higher cost of a Campy 11-speed casette vs Shimano.

#12 ·
The Campy freehub has a side benefit.
The spline design doesn't suffer from indentation/cassette lock up.

#16 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.