Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Cannondale Supersix 6 Apex

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ngl 
#1 ·
Anybody ridden the Supersix 6 with Apex? I think it is from 2012, MSRP $2220. I'm looking at one locally and the seller will let it go for $1200. Seller says that it was ridden less than 100 miles. Have not seen the bike in person yet so it is hard to say if this is true, but the white bar tape and hoods look dirty and it looks like there is some paint chipping on the rear derailleur.

Is that a decent price for the bike, and is it a good bike? Are there other bikes in that price range (used) that I should consider? Anything to look out for when going to check it out?

Also, I was considering building up a Chinese carbon frame. I know this might open a can of worms, but is there a general consensus on buying a used brand name bike vs building up a new Chinese frame? I know Cannondale's warranty only covers the original owner so if something were to happen it seems I would be out of luck either way...

#3 ·
$1200 seems like a fair price if everything checks out. The frame, components and tires should look like new if the bike only has 100 miles on it. If you are a novice I recommend taking it to a local bike shop asking them to check the bike for any wear or damage and to verify it fits you properly. It should only cost you a few $. While you are at the bike shop check to see what they have in your size. There are some great deals out there if you have a few extra $ to spend.

Building a bike can be rewarding, but, also challenging for a novice builder.

#4 ·
Yeah I'm a little doubtful of only having 100 miles on it. the hoods look dirty and there is a bit of paint chipping on the rear derailleur. I have an Apex group with about 700 and still no chipping... Although I guess it is possible depending on where its been ridden.

I'm not a complete novice but am new to carbon bikes. My only concern with building Chinese is mainly quality control. If I could find a brand name carbon frame for around 500 I'd build it but have not seen much lately.

#5 ·
Look at the odometer reading if the bike has a computer. Some people forget to reset the computer (if indead there was more mileage).

A co-worker just built up a chinese frame with 11 speed ultegra and $500 chinese carbon wheels. Total cost was $2300 CDN. I can't comment on the frame quality or ride quality. He stated he likes the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.