Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Newbie's First Bike(s) - CAAD10 v. SuperSix v. Colgano Strada

3K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  TricrossRich 
#1 ·
Hey, all

Looking to get into the sport and thereby need to pickup a couple of bikes for my fiancee and I. After some research, found a LBS that is clearing out 2014 CAAD10 105s for about $1200.00. This appears to set us up with two good/great quality bikes for less than $2500.00 total.

While I was initially thinking about upgrading to '12 SuperSix 5s (standard, non-Evo or Hi-Mod) - this would entail an additional cost of almost $1000.00. I'm not sure its worth, namely as to whether it'll entail a night/day difference that a newbie could appreciate. Plus, I have some concerns about us ruining CF bikes....

So all that said, tonight I noticed the entry level Colnago Strada bikes and I'm curious as to their viability for us. Well, frankly, I think it would probably entail the purchase of one Colnago and another cheaper bike, likely a Trek 1.1. Noticed there is a total lack of commentary concerning the Strada, whereas the reputation of the CAAD10 is solid. Have some concern that I would be buying the name/brand cachet of the Strada, versus the performance of the CAAD.

So what say you, stick with the CAAD10s? Or should the Colgano be the choice?

Thanks, all.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry to say I can't speak to the Colagno, but I was faced with a similar decision between the CAAD10 and the SuperSix. I went with the CAAD, as I (being still fairly new to the sport then) couldn't feel a difference between the two. Instead I spent a little more on componentry rather than the frame.

Have had my CAAD10 (which was a 2014 model) for a year now and love it. The only issue I've had is with the BB30 creaking once, which I'm sure you can find plenty of discussion about in the Cannondale forum. LBS fixed that for free and it's been smooth riding since. Have done a few races on it and have never felt like the bike was holding me back.

#3 ·
Expectation Management

Hey, all

So what say you, stick with the CAAD10s? Or should the Colgano be the choice?

Thanks, all.
MarshallR8,
Hello and welcome to cycling! I own 3x Cannondale CAAD10-1's, 1x CAAD9-6, and 1x CAAD3 (bought new in Heidelberg in 1995) so I am pretty well versed on the goodness and badness of Cannondale aluminum frames.

First, expectation management. The CAAD10 shares pretty much the same geometry as its carbon brothers, but the aluminum frame - while very good - does not dampen vibrations from bad roads as well as the SuperSix. Depending on where you live this may not be an issue. For example I keep a CAAD10 in Tampa, FL where the roads are glass smooth and can't imagine a more perfect setup than the stock CAAD10. On the other hand my primary residence is in southern AZ where the roads are chip seal and rather crappy. The good news is the CAAD10 has plenty of tire clearance allowing me to fit sufficiently large tires (700x25 tubeless on Campagnolo Shamals on one CAAD10 and 700x25 clinchers on wide carbon rims on the other), which when coupled with lower tire pressures makes the ride very good. The only other area of concern with the CAAD10 is the 'thinness' of the frame materiel used to keep the weight as low as possible. This has nothing to do with the ride, but must be taken in to consideration from a 'care in handling' perspective. I am not being alarmist, but you just have to exercise a little caution when clamping the top tube either for bike transport or for bike maintenance. (Note: I can squeeze the top tube on my CAAD10 with my hand and feel it flex.)

Second. With regard to the Colnago. As a long time Cannondale owner (first one purchased in 1992) I can say I have always been happy with their products. (Note: I am not a parochial Cannondale owner. As a frame of reference I currently own several titanium bikes, several non-Cannondale carbon bikes, and several - various brands - aluminum bikes.) I've never owned a Colnago and constantly lust after the ones built by hand in Ernesto's basement (C59 and now the C60). That said, I have never had a desire to own or pay additional money for an Asian made Colnago simply for the Colnago name. There is just something about made in Italy, which strikes a cord in my cycling heart...the Asian made Colnagos simple don't do it for me and after I'd spent the money; I'd still be lusting after a 'real Italian' Colnago.

My two cents: I'd go for like Cannondales and wouldn't look back.

Very respectfully, Tim

#4 ·
I have no experience with either the Cannondale's or the Colnago (aside from riding my friend's Caad10) so I'd simply say, visit your LBS and ride them all. I think you should be more concerned with finding the one who's ride qualities fit you best and less concerned with how a bunch of strangers in a forum might make this decision.

Regarding the Cannondales... the two different frame material options have different riding qualities... try them both and see what you prefer. Additionally, what groupsets are being offered with each, respectively...if you're getting Ultegra with the Caad10 but only Tiagra or 105 with the Evo that might make a difference to you in the long run.

As for the Colnago... there's obviously some bling factor associated with a bike like that... if that's important to you, then that's for you to decide. We all place different judgements on what branding means to us and what brands we find "important".

The great thing about bikes is, you generally get what you pay for.

#5 ·
I won't choose between the two bikes, but, will offer this:
1) All else being equal, buy the bikes at the bike shop you want to do business with and get service from. If you want "prefered service" from your LBS and any discounts on accessories then thats where I recommend buying your bikes.
2) Personally, I would purchase both bikes of the same quality. If you want your fiancee to bike with you (a lot) then don't down grade her bike. Hey, thats just my opinion.
3) I value frame quality over component quality. In other words, I would put my money into the frame, then tires, wheels and contact points (seat, bars.....) then components last. Again, thats just my opinion. I have 4 road bikes at home (1 with DA, 1 with 105, 1 with tiagra and 1 with 9 speed sora ....I just sold a bike with ultegra). I am impressed with the new tiagra and even the 9 sped sora for goodness sakes!

#9 ·
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't going to necessarily downgrade "her" bike - the plan was to alternate between the two since we are both sized similarly.
Maybe someone more experienced can chime in here, but I would think that even though you may be sized similarly, the fit on the bike may not be identical. Your LBS will make adjustments to the bike based on your physical measurements and how you sit on the bike. So it might not be ideal to be switching back and forth.

Even though I don't have a CAAD10 5, it was one I was considering. $1200 each is a great price for them. I think you would be very happy with it. Unless you really want carbon, I would say go with the more entry level bike and get some nice accessories. You can upgrade to carbon later if it suits you.

#8 ·
Thank you for all of the responses, they are very helpful. I guess when you are new to a sport or hobby, there is some issue in terms of discerning between subjective opinions (e.g. frame preference) and objective truths (e.g. underlying quality of a bike).

#11 ·
The bottom line truth is you just need to go and try it to see the difference. If you read the forums and internet reviews, you'll easily be swayed one way or another. Some will tout the vibration absorption, stiffness and lightness of a carbon frame, other will say it makes no difference at all. In all honesty, they are all probably right as it's their opinion and their conditions may be different from yours.

Personally, I can't really produce the power to really tell the difference between a stiff and really stiff bike, nor can I tell the difference between 1lb of weight on my bike. Since I can't tell the difference, I won't pay the extra for a super light and stiff bike. However, many will buy the high end bike as they like the looks or label of a high end carbon bike. There's nothing wrong with that either. Whatever makes you want to go out and ride, that's the goal.

#12 ·
Ok, a twist in the tale. I have the opportunity to purchase a NOS 2006 Bianchi L'Una for $1500.00. Really tempted by this bike given its Campy componentry and its once lofty price tag of $5K+ (plus full carbon). That said, not sure if it's a "better" bike than the CAAD10. Unfortunately, won't be able to try the L'Una before purchasing.

#13 ·
I wouldn't buy it if you can't ride it prior to purchase. Also, componentry might be higher quality on the Bianchi, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's a "better" bike for you. The better bike for you is the one that fits you best and that you enjoy riding.

Ride the Cannondales and see if you feel a difference between the SuperSix and CAAD10. Geometry-wise those bikes are almost identical, so you probably won't notice fit differences but riding them both will give you an indication if the price difference is justifiable or not comparing the ride quality on both. Go with what you both like more and will keep you and your fiancee riding.

#19 · (Edited)
I was in your boat about a month ago. Spent the winter researching bikes and I sold my Novara Strada that i bought after graduating college last year about this time cause it was a little too big (I didn't get any fitting help at REI unfortunately, but that's a whole different topic) and wanted a do over with my first nice road bike.

I looked at CAAD 8, CAAD 10, the Smartweld Allez and carbon synapse. I went with CAAD 10 and have had it about a month now, its been as fantastic as every review and forum reccomendation said. Its definitely a bike you can grow into as you become more experienced in cycling, which is what I am looking forward to now.

Bottom line, its an outstanding bike for a variety of riding levels. Enjoy!

PS make sure the shop you are buying from works with you on a good fitting. Its very important and you will learn alot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.